Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: KCLT - Charlotte/Douglas Airport, On-Going Thread

Strangely, Moose, I love how you and the rest of the CLT guys recap my day at work every time I get home. Just finished a five-day stretch in and out of CLT working around most of the same stuff you have pictures of in the last few posts.

- We heard about people holding in the air while they closed 18C for that tire -- we secretly wanted to hold so we'd make a few extra minutes on the clock but, silly us, that only happens when we're rushing for the hotel -- but it did gum things up for a little while. Looked like they had it off on a taxiway by the time we arrived on 23.

- Also heard about a Mesa RJ that decided to play in the mud while exiting 23 on B later that day. Oy.

- We landed from Greenville-Spartanburg shortly after Southwest's first arrival and I was wondering if anyone would be out for it since the sky was pretty dull. Shame it didn't arrive the night before when Vasco, Joe and some others were up on the hill with great light.

Speaking of which, where were you that day?

B
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

It seems like every time Joe and the guys are out, I'm off somewhere else. Saturday I was at a Civil War reenactment at a nearby historic restoration site. I decided to do that on Saturday so I could catch Southwest's first day of operations, and when I got home, discovered the gang had been out at CLT that day. I'm sure I'll catch up with them one of these days.

The view from the Overview today...

Well, at least from as close as anyone could get to the overview. It was closed on Tuesday following the Boston bombing, and as Adam was told today when he called Ops, would be closed "indefinitely". There were about a dozen cars parked in a dirt field across from this turnoff, and a bunch of people who had walked across the road to stand at the fence. About 5 minutes after I pulled in, and just about the time I was going to walk over to the fence, a friendly Charlotte-Mecklenberg PD officer pulled up, and over the PA announced we were in a no parking zone. He waited until everyone cleared out, and must have chased the folks away from the fence as well, as they were all gone when I made another swing by 10 minutes later. If anyone was thinking about coming down to shoot at the overview, you might want to reconsider. Who knows when this episode of Security Theater will be over...

So the whole nation is going into a lock down again? Well shame that is happened over at Charlotte, at least today in Anchorage the cops were no different.

Hi John,

I have a question for you. Does "the view from the Overview" reopened after the suspect was captured?

Thanks!
    John Perrotta
    KBDL

No, it didn't John. Adam S (on this site) called airport ops on Saturday, and he was told the overview would be closed "indefinitely" and that he should call back periodically to see when it would be open.

Oh, what a bummer!! :-(

I hope the overview will be reopened soon.

John Perrotta

I find it mildly ironic that for all the gruff they give to photographers in general, they sure wanted our help last week.
    http://news.yahoo.com/runner-spectat...014835588.html
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

So, I brought up the issue of the CLT closure, and the potential for other such actions within the Washbalt Spotters Group. A few of us wrote emails, and heard back that the viewing area is now open again! So get out there and shoot for those of who wish we could get to CLT, and can't :)

Yes, I was told it reopened today. I may have to take a ride out after work.

Took a ride out to the overview after work today (they were on 36 last night, or I would have gone out then).

Longer days mean more evening flights arrive in the daylight, and this is the first 762 I've seen since last fall.

Caught the Steelers logo jet

According to Airfleets.net, this is US Airways' newest jet, delivered in late March.

Saw this Challenger 300 departing. Registration comes back to a leasing company in Connecticut, but a little digging online shows that the airplane belongs to the Bank of Central America (BAC).

Moose! u r the KCLT superspotter man!
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Moose you are correct about N151UW being the newest US bird, delivered on the same day as 150UW back in March, May will see 152UW and N286UW the later being a A-330-200. Great shots as usual and I agree with Sergio's comment as well.

Cheers

LGA777

Thanks, Ron! I caught 150UW a week or so ago as well. I guess I'll have to watch for the new ones next month. So far, even without catching any of the West metal, I've shot 2/3 of the fleet, both mainline and Express. I guess I'll have to work on getting them all before they start wearing AA colors!

Great shots Moose! I'll be coming through there shortly in the new ride. I'll let you know when I get a CLT trip!
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true