Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: KCLT - Charlotte/Douglas Airport, On-Going Thread

Thanks, Adam - I may go out later in the week, depending on weather. I thought about going up to the parking deck to shoot some of the Express ramp, but there were about a million cars trying to get to the terminal...holiday travel!

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Thanks, guys! Kiffy, the overview is open until 10:30pm every night. I was back again for a little bit last night - it was 68F at 8pm, and there had to be two dozen cars out there.
    Wow that's great news, I always thought it closed at dusk. I'll definitely have to give it a try at night!

Last shot is stunning!

I was up before dawn to meet a certain nomadic photographer traveling through CLT, and while we didn't get too many photo ops, we did manage a few...

Happy Holidays!

Great shots Moose! Happy holidays my friend
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Interesting angles Moose. How much time did you have to shoot before you were shoo'ed away?

Love the UPS shot John!! Nice stuff!! Merry Christmas to you!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Thanks guys! John, the UPS and FedEx were just quick hits, 5 minutes or so at each spot. I've been down near where the UPS jet was a number of times before - the An-124 and Atlas 744 were both parked in the same general area, and never had a problem with PD. The Express ramp shots were from the top of one of the daily parking decks. Again, we weren't there more than 15 minutes or so, but the place was deserted, only a handful of cars up there, and no one bothered us. I've been up there a couple of times for something special, half hour or so each time, without any trouble.

Interestingly enough, Adam S. and I had an encounter with CMPD (Charlotte Mecklenberg Police Department) in a different spot this afternoon...I'll post about that in the Spotter Blotter.

After my airport visit this morning to meet up with Steve, I headed back this afternoon for a little Christmas Eve spotting. They were using the 36s, and Adam was out at a new spot some of the guys have been using. It's the road that runs parallel to the runway, where there is a hill near the touchdown zone that lets us get up near the height of the runway.

A triple play!

Some from me as well. Nice seeing John as always!

Adam Sheinhaus

First spotting trip of the new year. Dropped in to the Overview to find CLT was operating on the 36s today, so I started out with a lap around the airport, stopping at the main FBO to grab a shot of N121DE, a Delta 763 that flew the San Fransisco 49ers in for their playoff game with the Panthers today. It should be a happy trip home after the Niners win.

Back at the Overview for some of the comings and goings:

When I first got to the Overview, I noticed nothing was arriving behind us on 36L, which is unusual. Taking a ride down and around that way, I saw a US Airways A320 stopped down at the north end of the runway, with a boarding stairs up to the aircraft, and a number of other vehicles around it.

After at least an hour and a half (the time I was there) I saw the plane being towed back across 36C, onto the ramp, and down toward the US Airways maintenance hangars. Others reported seeing three or four buses cross the runway back and forth. I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm thinking they may have blown a tire on landing and stopped straight ahead. The pax were bused to the terminal, and after changing the tire, the plane towed back in. When it was towed in, several US ground vehicles followed behind, including one that looked like it might be towing a jack. That's the US Airways "Supertug" doing the towing.

The end of the line. With all withdrawn from scheduled service, this ended up being the last ever flight of a DC-9 by an American airline. It was flown from ATL to CLT, where it will be on display at the Carolinas Aviation Museum.

We had another Atlas 744F in town today. They have become a frequent visitor to CLT in the past couple of months, mostly flying relief supplies donated by Samaritan's Purse, a North Carolina based humanitarian organization.

Over at the FBO, I came across this 727, N17773 operated by Monfort Aviation. They are flying the Chicago Bulls NBA team this season. The Bulls are in town to play the Charlotte Bobcats tonight.

He's coming right at us! A gusty crosswind made for some interesting approaches...

Miserable day for spotting (cold, clouds, wind) until Atlas came, then the sun broke out. Nice seeing John as usual!

Adam Sheinhaus

Great job Moose getting the last ever Delta DC-9! That's great news that it's going to be staying at the Carolina Aviation Museum. I hope the cabin will be open for tours.

Nice catches of the 727 and Atlas 747 too. Interesting she is still wearing Qantas titles, looks like she hasn't operated for them since the end of December...