Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: KCLT - Charlotte/Douglas Airport, On-Going Thread

Thanks, guys! I flew up to Pittsburgh on business for a couple of days, but managed a few shots at CLT.

On board US Airways A319 N730US, turning on to 36C for departure on Wednesday morning.

Friday evening, on US A319 N732US, crossing 18C heading to the terminal, after landing on 18R.

We had a clear, crisp day today, just made for spotting. We ended up seeing a bunch of US re-paints.

One of the first Republic E-170s to get American Eagle colors.

This US A321 has eluded me forever - it was the only original US-painted A321 I hadn't shot. I saw it was coming in from BOS this afternoon, and was sure it was going to land on Rwy 23, but much to my surprise, it came in 18C.

PSA CRJ-700 in new colors.

As happens periodically at CLT, we ended up with a bit of a lull in the action - nothing, and I mean nothing, was departing on 18C for better than 15 minutes, yet this guy lands on 18R...

Last edited by moose135; 2014-10-05 at 08:35 PM.

Gosh, is CLT changing this fast?? So much AA in your latest update. --- But hey, those DAASHs are nice! N337EN must be the latest out of the shop.

Can't wait for early november. Plan to get down there for an afternoon at the overlook when they're going south and the trees are golden.

I knew that they were going to ramp up the painting after Labor Day, but yes, they pretty much have one plane going into the paint shop before the fumes from the previous plane have dissipated.

The way they are handling the painting also allows for quicker painting (1 CRJ, E-170, A319, A321, etc at the same time), so you can expedite the painting and you can get planes to roll off the paint shop every few days, even if the lead time is around 10 days.

Is the overlook still open? I though I'd read someplace that runway construction was going to close it by early fall.

I didn't get a chance to get down over the summer, would like to go if it's still open.

No, it's still open. When they do build the new runway, it will close, although there isn't an announced date on when the runway will be built or when the overview will close - we don't know if it will stay open during most construction, and close when the runway is ready, or if it will close earlier than that. Also, airport officials have said that there will be a new overview, but there has been no word on where that will be, or if it will be open when the current one closes.

Right now, the new runway is listed on their "Future Proposed Construction Projects" page, with a January 2015 start date.
    Last edited by moose135; 2014-10-06 at 10:16 PM.

How's the view from the new garage?

Thx! Good to know it will be open for a while. I want to get lift off/touchdown shots. The closest airport to me is PHL. And the high fences are a problem. I've seen some spotters out there standing on ladders mounted in the beds of pickup trucks, butttt, since i don't own a truck...

I could rent a truck, but a road trip to a new place will definitely be more fun!

I've got a 70-210 mated to a D7000. Is that enough lens?

Thx!
    Last edited by tjc; 2014-10-08 at 12:43 PM.

That's more than enough for shooting at the overview, and should be fine for some of the other spots we sometimes hit. If they are on North operations, you won't do well shooting 36R departures from the overview with that, but even the 100-400 is a little short for those.

Let me know when you plan to head down this way, I'll be glad to meet up with you if I'm around.

Great shots as usual, John. Nice catch on 220FR--I saw her fly over the RDU area on the way to IAD from CLT. Hope to be able to get back to CLT and catch up with you soon.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Thx moose, will do!

I hadn't been out to CLT to shoot in a month, and even though it was dark, I needed to get out the other night.

Today, I took a ride out after work, and caught a bunch of stuff in new AA paint.

And a couple of PSA CRJ700s

Republic E-170 departing 36R

From last August's trip to CLT.

A question for Moose or the other locals: Around what time does the light get good in the afternoon this time of the year? I'm putting together a trip next weekend that includes Sat/Sun afternoons at the overlook.

Probably after 2 or so. Sun should be right down the runway at Noon, so give it a couple of hours to swing around. Sunset is around 5:15, although if they are landing 18C, the touchdown zone ends up in shade before that, as the area around the overview is raised above the runway.

If if I don't head up to NY for Christmas, I'll look to meet. Up with you.

I made my way down South last month and with a bit of luck I was able to get to the overlook minutes before sunset.

Final for 18R, taken through the sunroof while on the outer loop.

Kissing runway 18C.

Chasing its shadow.

I was happy to finally get a good shot of a Dash8 in new colors, they're still rare at PHL.

A332 arriving from Heathrow in the last of the day's light.

Finally an E175, one of the first repainted in new colors. Taken half an hour after sunset.