Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: KCLT - Charlotte/Douglas Airport, On-Going Thread

I've got to get out there sometime... even if it's for a weekend!

I've been keeping an eye on the NFL schedule to see who would be in town to play the Panthers, and what they fly. Other than the Giant's UA 764 earlier this year, there weren't too many noteworthy charters, mostly US, AA, and DL. But I had this weekend circled on the calendar. The Oakland Raiders are in town, and they use Hawaiian Airlines. It's an early Christmas present for the CLT spotting community!

Nice catch Moose....as far as charters go, is there any way to find out what teams use what airline? Or do most just use UA?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

@Steve, try this link: http://discussions.flightaware.com/n...674d84db2c66f5

Rather than starting a new thread I'll post my shots of Hawaiian.

Adam Sheinhaus

Excellent! Thanks for the link Adam!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Steve, there is also this thread on A.net with NFL charter info: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5613766/

From an earlier A.net thread on 2012 NFL charters, airline usage is:
    DL - 15
    UA - 12
    AA - 2
    US - 2
    HA - 1

I just checked the Panthers' schedule earlier in the season to see who would be in town, and Googled to see what I would come up with. The Seattle Seahawks, who were here in October, used HAL a year or two ago as well, but they switched to DL this season, so we didn't get a second chance at one of these. Looks like there are a couple of interesting NBA charters on the FA list, Adam. I'll have to keep an eye on the Bobcats' schedule too.

It turned into a nice day today, so I spent a couple of hours down at CLT this afternoon.

First decent shots I've gotten of the Allegheny retro colors.

One of US Airways' newest A321s, delivered in October. It still has that new airplane smell!

We finally got some heavy metal among all the RJs...

I was surprised to see this still had "Continental Express" titles, the other two I saw today had "United Express" on them.

Falcon 2000EX owned by Duke Energy, so yes, my electric bill goes to pay for the gas in this thing...

There were too many in-and-out clouds for today to be a "perfect" spotting day, but at 3pm, ATIS was reporting 73 degrees at CLT, and that called for a trip to the overview.

BTW, much like my surprise catch of Futt in his Dash-8 a while back, it turns out I had a buddy flying that AirTran jet above. An old friend, a classmate from USAF pilot training and a captain at AirTran, was flying her.

I've been down here since August, and I really haven't found a bad time yet. The main runway is 18/36, with the overview on the west side of the 18C approach end, so it's good all afternoon. Obviously, as the days get longer, we'll have more time to shoot from there, but we get most of the interesting stuff before dark anyway.

Thanks for the response. US Airways has a non-stop flight from Des Moines,and I've been wanting to get their A330 and 767's. I assume if I was there for a couple of days that I would see most everything.

Doug

Thanks to a heads up from Adam this afternoon, I swung by CLT to catch this Kalitta B727 on the ramp.

Another day, another dinosaur...

Chartered B727 operated by Paradigm Air, flying the NBA Houston Rockets to CLT to play the Charlotte Bobcats on Monday.

It's not every day you see a pair of 722s together on the ramp.

We caught this LH A380 passing overhead.

Last edited by moose135; 2013-01-20 at 10:38 PM.

The Paradigm B727 arrived on 18L, so we were over on the parking deck to shoot the arrival. That spot also overlooks the US Express ramp...

Meanwhile, back at the overview..

They ended up switching to Rwy 36 shortly after we got back from shooting the 727. Here's a Delta DC-9-51 blasting off.

Putting it down right on the numbers!

Great photos! Which parking deck were you on? And how much?

Xander