Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: KCLT - Charlotte/Douglas Airport, On-Going Thread

Nice shot John,
    Lucky you I have been wanting to get their DC-9s for ages.

Senga

Thanks, Senga! They had one of their MD-80s in a few days before that, but I didn't hear about it until it was too late to get there.

We are getting a ton of activity around CLT this week associated with the funeral services for the Reverend Billy Graham. He passed away last week at his home near Asheville, NC, about two hours from Charlotte. His remains were brought to the grounds of the Billy Graham Library, less than 2 miles from CLT on Saturday. Yesterday and today he lay in repose at the library while visitors paid their respects. He will be brought to Washington DC on Wednesday morning where he will lie in repose at the US Capitol until Thursday. His funeral will be Friday at the Library, with several thousand invited guests, including the President.

Former President George W. Bush and Laura Bush flew into CLT on Monday afternoon to pay their respects.

Samaritan's Purse DC-8 at CLT today. Samaritan's Purse is an evangelical Christian humanitarian aid organization headed by Franklin Graham, son of Reverend Billy Graham. The aircraft is normally used to fly relief supplies worldwide, but will be used to fly Reverend Graham's remains to Washington.

I haven't been able to confirm it yet, but I think this may have been Bill Clinton departing this afternoon. It left around the right time, there was a convoy of 2 CMPD cruisers and 2 Suburbans on the ramp nearby, and it flew in from Westchester County, NY this morning and departed back to Teterboro, NJ this afternoon.

I was able to confirm that Falcon 900 was flying Bill Clinton.

I took a run down to CLT to catch the DC-8 departing for IAD this morning.

We're hearing all sorts of rumors for Friday - we know Air Force 1 will be in, maybe AF2 with VPOTUS as well; people are hearing the Pope and maybe the Queen of England will attend. Looks like I'm going to be camped out there all day!

Envy all those movements if they happen John!!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

We have a pair of C-17s on the cargo ramp today, they brought in equipment for tomorrow's POTUS visit. Yes, it's a rainy day in Charlotte. Fortunately, it should be much better weather tomorrow.

A USA Jet MD-83 was on the ground for a bit this afternoon as well.

There was also another Aeronaves DC-9-30 here today as well.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    people are hearing the Pope and maybe the Queen of England will attend
    You have a better chance of seeing Oprah.

Out early this morning waiting to see what was coming in. With the winds, they were using Runway 36R.

Air Force 2, a VC-32A carrying the Vice President arrived a little before 10:30.

Air Force 1 arrived about 40 minutes later.

After they came in, I ran home for a bit while the funeral was going on. I managed to miss AF1 departing by about 3 minutes, but I've photographed it several times coming out of CLT. AF2 departed minutes later.

Nice weather and shots John!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Thanks, Mark!

USCG HC-144A on the ramp at CLT today. I don't think I've shot one of these before.

We also had another An-124 drop in. It's one I hadn't shot before.

The Antonov did a quick turn, only about 4 hours on the ground, sounds like they were only here to clear Customs then head to Kinston, NC.

CLT is becoming the Antonov capital of the US...Spirit AeroSystems is based in Kinston, NC (ISO), about a 30 minute flight from CLT. Spirit builds composite parts (fuselage sections and such) for the Airbus A350, and uses the Antonov to bring the parts to Europe for assembly. The Antonovs will usually drop in to CLT to allow the crew to clear Customs, then make the short hop to ISO. That is in addition to the usual Antonov flights we have always gotten.

The 145th Airlift Wing of the North Carolina Air National Guard, based at CLT, is transitioning from the C-130 to the C-17. Their last C-130 departed about a month ago, and today, their first C-17 arrived. It was a lousy day - low clouds, on and off rain, just perfect conditions. This aircraft, like the rest they will get, came from the 437th Airlift Wing in Charleston.

Accompanying the first C-17 was another C-17, this one carrying special markings commemorating the 70th Anniversary of the North Carolina ANG.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Very nice - is that the first C-17 in a "special"? Looks like they updated the font on the fin flash, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Very nice - is that the first C-17 in a "special"? Looks like they updated the font on the fin flash, as well.
    I think so, I remember hearing something that they were going to update the fin flash with the move to the C-17.

Last week we had Air Force 2 drop in again.

They ended up departing about 20 minutes after sunset.

Before AF2 arrived, the CMPD helicopter (call sign Snoopy) made a sweep of the runway.