Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: KCLT - Charlotte/Douglas Airport, On-Going Thread

Thanks for getting the shots of my flights Moose! Great job despite the conditions. Any chance there are any spots by the cargo area you can shoot from without getting chased away?

I know what you mean about the charters. PVD gets the majority of the NFL charters for Patriots games.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Glad to be able to catch your flights, Steve. You'll have to come down for a spotting trip one of these days. I was talking with one of the regulars in the overview area, and he said he's been down the other end, sitting in a chair shooting and security just drives by and waves. I'll have to investigate further...

Saw that United 753 sitting on the ramp by 36R yesterday, nice to know the backstory.

Flew through again today but only up and down 18L for a quick Florence, SC roundtrip daytrip. There was an incredible downpour right over downtown CLT as we were climbing out around 5pm...

B
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Glad to be able to catch your flights, Steve. You'll have to come down for a spotting trip one of these days. I was talking with one of the regulars in the overview area, and he said he's been down the other end, sitting in a chair shooting and security just drives by and waves. I'll have to investigate further...
    I'm looking into it. What's your schedule like? If I come down its just gonna be a day trip and would probably not be getting a rental car. Best days for me are Friday or Saturday
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Hey Steve, a Saturday would work best for me. After next week, I don't have anything specific on the calendar until the beginning of November.

After seeing the UAL 757 on Sunday for the NO Saints, and with the Giants in town to play the Panthers tonight, I knew there would be something special lurking. They came in Wednesday afternoon on a UAL 764, and after work today I took a run out to see what I could see. It was parked behind one of the cargo buildings, same spot as the 757 on Sunday. I found the parking lot went right up to the fence, so I pulled in and parked, got some shots, and rolled on out.

After that, I stopped by the overlook for half an hour before sunset (and heading home to watch the G-Men...)

ETA: It turns out our favorite Futt is in the right seat of that Dash-8!
    Last edited by moose135; 2012-09-21 at 12:32 AM.

Moose, I thought about Futt when I saw that shot. That's incredible.

That 757 shot is simply amazing. Love it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks, Phil! I was getting ready to leave, as the wave of departures had just about ended, but I saw something big on approach, which turned out to be the 757. I'm glad I waited for it, not only for how the shot turned out, but because the Dash-8 was the next plane in. I didn't even know Futt was in the Dash when I shot it. I posted it on FB, and he asked what time it was when I took the shot...just a happy circumstance.

Since I can't catch any of the UN traffic this week, I swung by CLT for a little bit this afternoon. The Insel Air Mad Dog comes in every Saturday, and I thought I'd try to catch it...of course, it landed on Rwy 23.

I have to A - find a place to shoot 23 arrivals, and B - find out how law enforcement feels about such locations...

To make up for the the Insel disappointment, I did catch a couple of heavies. The daily LH A340 from Munich made an appearance.

Lufty was followed by this US A330 from Rome.

And I saw this Dash-8, which looked like it was put together from the spare parts bin - a mis-matched nose cone, and that fuselage panel ahead of the wing sure looks like it belongs on a different airplane. When I took this shot he was in "line up and wait" position, and I noticed what looks like the speed brakes raised on the wings. I didn't realize the Dash was so stunningly overpowered that you need to put out the boards at idle to keep from moving...

Finally, speaking of the LH A340...the first time I was out spotting and it arrived, I saw this woman. Just before the airplane got there, she walked over near the fence, raised her arms, and started a sing-song kind of chant. She continued it the entire time the airplane was on the ground - sometimes standing, sometimes kneeling, sometimes sitting on the ground. After the plane departed, she left. I've seen her out several times now, and in talking to one of the regulars, he said she is always out to greet the LH A340 like that - and that when they sub an A330, she doesn't come out. In fact, this afternoon, I looked at my watch and thought "Lufty must be getting close..." and about the same time, from behind me, I heard her start her chant, followed by the crew checking in with tower on final...

I've heard about her and have been wondering the storyr behind that for a long time. If you hear anything let us know please!!!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Lovely shots, Moose. A few months back I shared the story of the woman, as well as the YouTube videos, with my fellow Lufthansa employees based in CLT and they got quite the kick out of it!

Great stuff, Moose. The McDonald's/Wendy's/KFC near 23 on Wilkinson are the best spots. I've never had an issue with police.

I always see her as well. She has to call airport ops each time she's there, and she never says why. I'm somewhat afraid to ask her myself.
    Adam Sheinhaus

This one's my favorite.

It was already discussed on Facebook, but that 757 did a favor by keeping Moose around long enough to photograph me arriving on 18C from Charlottesville, VA. I would've been waving if I wasn't flying the airplane, but I did honestly think while we were over the runway about how nice the light was for anyone taking pictures. Couldn't have worked out better!

This one's definitely a keeper. Thanks again, John.

BF
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

I don't know how you can accept that Brian...just look at the yellow cast...unreal

Great shots Moose...and don't feel bad about missing UN week, I've never been able to make it out for any of them yet. Keep up the sweet work down at CLT! I'd pinch myself to see what you could come up with down there with a 500 or bigger prime...
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. And Adam, thanks for the tip on the 23 location, I know where you're talking about, I'll have to check it out soon.

Nice shots Moose!

Xander