Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TWA Flight Center @ OHNY Weekend - October 6 and 7, 2012

I had a great time and also saw someone ressembling Phil until I went close-up, but I knew it wasn't him. I also saw a guy wearing a shirt saying, "Save the Worldport" but he was walking so fast on the second level that I lost him. I also love the Worldport. Guests were allowed to pose for photos in the Ambassador Lounge in the seat the late Pope sat in when he visited the NY World's Fair back in the 60's. The bars in the lounges and the restrooms are preserved. A very detailed lecture was given about the architecture and history. The ticket counters where I used to pick-up my timetables and luggage tags were still there (without receptionists). The carpet was clean and well-kept. The floor tiles were in excellent shape.The white lighting was dramatic and stunning even better than before. Only thing gone is the stunning view of Rwys 22R/L from the main waiting area. It is now blocked by Jet Blue. I also love the Arrivals Board still working and those clocks. We are lucky this edifice of the past is being preserved for future generations. Even LAX preserved their Theme Building and Observation Deck but they also restored their old Control Tower as well.
    Last edited by Speedbird1; 2012-10-08 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    I had a great time and also saw someone ressembling Phil until I went close-up, but I knew it wasn't him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Ha, I was not there. Did you really see someone that looked like me?
    Hmm, must have been a Phil imposter. The video clip was a zoomed out overview shot, but it definitely resembled you standing on the catwalk
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

I had a great time and also saw someone ressembling Phil until I went close-up, but I knew it wasn't him. I also saw a guy wearing a shirt saying, "Save the Worldport" but he was walking so fast on the second level that I lost him. I also love the Worldport. Guests were allowed to pose for photos in the Ambassador Lounge in the seat the late Pope sat in when he visited the NY World's Fair back in the 60's. The bars in the lounges and the restrooms are preserved. A very detailed lecture was given about the architecture and history. The ticket counters where I used to pick-up my timetables and luggage tags were still there (without receptionists). The carpet was clean and well-kept. The floor tiles were in excellent shape.The white lighting was dramatic and stunning even better than before. Only thing gone is the stunning view of Rwys 22R/L from the main waiting area. It is now blocked by Jet Blue. I also love the Arrivals Board still working and those clocks. We are lucky this edifice of the past is being preserved for future generations. Even LAX preserved their Theme Building and Observation Deck but they also restored their old Control Tower as well.
    Speedbird, let's see some of your pics... I saw you taking quite a few ;-) I have not yet gone through mine and given they were mostly HDRs, it will be some time before I process them
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

What a marvelous structure.

I'd love to share some of my photos, but I use a crappy point and shoot camera and frankly my photos cannot compare to the photos the guys I saw with tripods post. I used to have a great non-digital camera using Kodacolor with a 205mm telephoto but since my spotting nowadays is limited I don't want to make a heavy investment. I was sad that nobody from NYC Aviation approached me as I came alone and had nobody to talk to except the OHNY volunteers. I approached the Phil look-a-like for a discussion. One thing sort of surprised me, where were the long lines? It was a pleasant surprise. Also, they were allowing visitors to enter through the actual terminal doors rather than entering through the doors by Carousel 6 at Jet Blue.

I also saw a guy wearing a shirt saying, "Save the Worldport" but he was walking so fast on the second level that I lost him. I also love the Worldport.
    That was probably Kal. Both he and I were wearing Save the Worldport shirts, but I never made it upstairs. We got stuck in NYC traffic and ended up getting there around 2pm. I was at last year's open house so I didn't mind not getting as many pictures this year, instead opting to listen to Charles Kramer's lecture and then spending about half hour outside talking to Jim Steven about the future of the Worldport. After 4pm we headed over to the Worldport to get coffee at the Dunkin Donuts and to try to get some photos there, but the crappy overcast weather wasn't too cooperative. We saw a lot of people eying the shirts but only a couple people actually came up to us.

Last edited by Braniff; 2012-10-10 at 06:35 PM.
    Believe It!

Last edited by heeshung; 2012-10-09 at 01:29 PM.

Gee.....finally got around to my images from the TWA Open House in 2012.

After I took this shot, Eric and I got detained by security at the JetBlue terminal. All turned out okay afterwards.

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Great work! Love your b&ws
    -Don B.

Mark those shots are amazing. Sorry you got detained, I took a similar shot in November from the same location and no one bothered me, guess I got lucky

Really nice shots Mark! The black and whites work really well...

If they have the open house again this year, I definitely intend to go check it out...

This years OHNY (Open House New York) is scheduled for Oct 12-13.
    http://ohny.org/
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

There's actually an OHNY members-only tour of the TWA Flight Center on June 21, 2013.

Details here: http://ohny.org/programs/current-upcoming-programs
    Believe It!

OHNY still hasn't published a list yet for next month. My fingers are crossed for another visit to TWA. It was truly awesome; they even admitted us through the original doors where the taxis parked. Which zone was for loading and unloading? I forgot.

I've been told that T5 will be open on Sunday, October 13 for OHNY.