Thread: Canon 100-400 v. 70-300L

Canon 100-400 v. 70-300L

My research for the best telephoto continues!

I thought I was settled on the 70-3IS non-L, but after doing some research, I think I may splurge on either the 100-400 or the 70-300L. I know there's a lot of 100-400 users here, but has anyone tried the 70-3L? I've used the 100-400 in the past, but I found it to be too cumbersome with both the weight and awkward push-pull zoom. The 70-3L has the traditional twist zoom, but I'm concerned about the shorter range. I'll be using this new lens on my 5D Mark II.

Right now, the only attractive feature of the 70-300 non-L is the smaller lens diameter--I found this to be a great benefit for shooting through fences with my cheap 75-300. I'm concerned about how through-the-fence photos with these larger lenses will turn out, considering unlike the 70-3 non-L, the 100-400 and 70-3L are too wide to fit through the openings in a chain link fence.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Chris102; 2012-08-26 at 11:09 PM.

100mm is not THAT much of a difference ... likely the price difference and the handling alone may be worth giving up the 100mm from what you say already. Don;t sweat it and get the 70-300mm if you feel it would be better for you..

...oh, and don't shoot through fences poor photos. If you must, you will get the same results regardless... if the lens does not fit thoroughly through the links, forget it. I am not sure ANY 35mm format lens fits though any chain link fence but if you say so
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    100-400 vignettes heavily on the 5Dii...or at least it did on mine

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    100mm is not THAT much of a difference ... likely the price difference and the handling alone may be worth giving up the 100mm from what you say already. Don;t sweat it and get the 70-300mm if you feel it would be better for you..

...oh, and don't shoot through fences poor photos. If you must, you will get the same results regardless... if the lens does not fit thoroughly through the links, forget it. I am not sure ANY 35mm format lens fits though any chain link fence but if you say so
    I actually found that when using the 58mm filter-sized lenses, I can get good shots through fences if the aperture and lens position against the links is just right. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I have been able to get some good shots with it through the fence before. All of my AVP on-the-ground shots on A.net were taken through fences (with the exception of my SAM aircraft photos).

Maybe a long focal length combined with a small aperture would get rid of fence links in the corners? I'll have to go out and try it with my 70-200 and see if it works.

The problem is that I do most of my shooting at AVP, and I've found that I can't get good airborne shots before 4PM. Also working against me is that there isn't a good spot to catch arrivals on the runway that's used as the active 75% of the time.