Thread: Best Afternoon Time for Photography

Best Afternoon Time for Photography

I've personally found that my outdoor shots turn out the best when taken from 6-10AM and 4PM on, however I've never tried to get anything in the in between time.

Is it possible to get good airborne aircraft shots around 1-2PM? I know noontime light is terrible, but didn't know if it was possible to get decent shots shortly before and after.

While sunrise and sunset hours offer amazing golden light that all photographers love to shoot in it is you and your cameras position to the sun and not the time of day that affects lighting.
    You can get good well lit shots any time of day
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Aside from the shooting during the "golden hours", I find the season to be a factor as well. For example, the angle of the sun during the winter months isn't as high as the summer months. I personally like the winter light better.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Winter winter winter winter... :P

Although it is hard to beat Bayswater at sunrise for 4R arrivals in early summer ... KILLER light and angle
    In winter months, 22L arrivals in the afternoon with golden sun on engines is killer...

For mid-day summer high sun shooting, I find the best photos you can possibly get are those of the aircraft very very close to the ground and especially if it is a concrete surface recently poured as it reflects a lot of light. Otherwise a low angle hard bank towards your position will reflect more light from the wings and add balance. The fuselage will still be a mess since it is a cylinder and will always have a hotspot on top

Yet another option is heavy overcast as it will diffuse the light enough (sometimes) for acceptable even lighting...
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-08-24 at 11:19 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm trying to "collect" the Allegiant MD-80's before they decide to cut service to AVP, and they're scheduled to always arrive at 2pm. I got lucky last Thursday with a two-hour delay and got some great shots, but I want to try for more of them in the future.

Manny, I was lucky not to get any hotspots on the fuselage this past time--hopefully I'll have the same luck next time I go out.

it depends on the type of Day,If you live in Florida it would be in the morning-To about 7 PM Due to the Storms Its mostly nice but if you come to florida...Then your going to have to be up Early for Good shots I Guess i would say Lunch Time 12-3 is probably Best Then again it depends on the weather and the Type of day it is outside..:)