Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tropical Storm Isaac

Looks like it has finally weakened some and is finally pushing inland very slowly as opposed to hanging there. Some models actually showed it as though it were bouncing off the coast, taking a step back from land after touching it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Looks like it has finally weakened some and is finally pushing inland very slowly as opposed to hanging there. Some models actually showed it as though it were bouncing off the coast, taking a step back from land after touching it.
    They confirmed it made landfall twice, so it did wobble back out into the water. Still, only went down by 5 mph since 12+ hours ago. God bless those on the Gulf coast. :(

Here is the flooding taking place in Braithwaite, LA.

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    The two landfalls I had heard of were the "minor" landfall yesterday evening on a small spit of land in the Mississippi River Delta, and then the second, "major" landfall early this morning on the gulf shores south of New Orleans. Not saying you are wrong or that it didn't "bounce", just that there were 2 actual landfalls as it crossed a small piece of land and then continued across the water to the main US landmass.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    The two landfalls I had heard of were the "minor" landfall yesterday evening on a small spit of land in the Mississippi River Delta, and then the second, "major" landfall early this morning on the gulf shores south of New Orleans.
    That was my understanding of the two landfalls as well.

Right now the Natrional Guard and others are performing rescues but only from the land. Because it is still raining heavily and stormy other assets like USCG ships and helicopters cannot launch as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Here is the flooding taking place in Braithwaite, LA.

HOLY CRAP! I get worried that my roof may have a leak, and this guys entire downstairs is flooded. I cant imagine this.

This is absolutely awful that in 2012 NOLA is still subject to this kind of flooding. I would have though of raising the city by now. Or putting up better defenses like The Netherlands and Italy (Venice) have done. I am amazed at that picture above, wow! ...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Actually, Manny, NO itself seems to have fared well thanks to the new levees. Most of the flooding has been in less developed areas away from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Actually, Manny, NO itself seems to have fared well thanks to the new levees. Most of the flooding has been in less developed areas away from the city.
    you are correct. Apparently the flooding pictured above is outside the federal flood protection zone. Residents said that they have never seen this before and have always fared well in the past. Hopefully they can figure something out to prevent this from happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I have been on various tours around the upper Mississippi river on Plantation Tours and the Levee system is taken VERY seriously. Most homes are built on stilts because of flooding so I would expect all communities in these areas to be better prepared. Very sad to see. I expect more from local government especially if one pays real estate taxes.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I have been on various tours around the upper Mississippi river on Plantation Tours and the Levee system is taken VERY seriously. Most homes are built on stilts because of flooding so I would expect all communities in these areas to be better prepared. Very sad to see. I expect more from local government especially if one pays real estate taxes.
    You have to remember, this is the same local government that let the levees fall into such disrepair vital pumps corroded right off the system-and led to the 2005 breach.