Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Skier Breaches JFK Airport Perimeter, Wanders to Terminal 3 Undetected

Post Jet Skier Breaches JFK Airport Perimeter, Wanders to Terminal 3 Undetected

NYCAviation:
    Jet Skier Breaches JFK Airport Perimeter, Wanders to Terminal 3 Undetected

A jet skier in Jamaica Bay breached a $100 million security system at JFK Airport, leaves both officials and citizens, scratching their heads.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    CBS came down to Bayswater to do a report on the reaction to all the money and technology spent and someone hops a perimeter fence, crosses two runways and gets to the terminal without anyone seeing him. I didn't want to go on camera but told whoever the guy was I want my money back.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i don't agree with him being locked up, it's not like he planned to jump the fence. PAPD definitely has some explaining to do about why he managed to get as far as he did.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I can understand detaining him at first until things are realized and sorted out, but I'm trying to learn if he was actually still under arrest, which makes no sense. It sounds like it was either that or drown. What was he supposed to do? Not only should Port have spotted him, but he should have been rescued.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I agree completely! Tired, wet, and obviously having a very bad day, I think anyone would have tried just about anything to find some help. Who knows how long he waited after coming ashore before he scaled the fence and entered the secure area. Eventually you have to help yourself when nobody is coming to help you. As for the massive security failure, I see no excuse for it. If it isn't working, then whomever is operating the system should know that it isn't, and they should have actual patrols replacing it. A working system or backup would have prevented this individual's ordeal from becoming what it did. Finally, I don't know of a single transportation facility in the area where "see something, say something" signs aren't everywhere. Evidently its not working as well as one might hope since it was possible to cross a security perimeter and walk 2 miles across a major airport before somebody saw some if and said something.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    Finally, I don't know of a single transportation facility in the area where "see something, say something" signs aren't everywhere. Evidently its not working as well as one might hope since it was possible to cross a security perimeter and walk 2 miles across a major airport before somebody saw some if and said something.
    Actually a Delta employee did see something and called for PAPD.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    Actually a Delta employee did see something and called for PAPD.
    Well, yea....after the guy wandered around the airport grounds for 2 miles and walked into terminal 3....
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Well, yea....after the guy wandered around the airport grounds for 2 miles and walked into terminal 3....
    His undoing was when he tried to take a picture of the terminal
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Thanks, that was exactly my point. There are be plenty of people around the airport who should know that a person with a life vest on should not be out roaming around. That said, I'm not trying to place the blame here, just pointing out that sometimes the system doesn't work, at least not as quickly as its supposed to.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    LOL

Wow...somebody in security has some explaining to do, they should have met him as soon as he came ashore- glad he's all right

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Poor guy. Has to endure a swim through Jamaica Bay, a walk across the tarmac including 2 runways, and after all that, he winds up in Terminal 3.

CNN has picked up this story. As is usual with things like this, it's been adapted for the mainstream audience. Unfortunately, it looks like the Queens DA is pursuing criminal trespass charges.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    lolol. There's been a bit of that going around recently.

Instead of persecuting the poor soul, they should be perscuting Raytheon for system failure. I am surprised that the PANYNJ doesn't perform some sort of annual system intrusion test to make sure that the system is up to par and validate it's functioning as intended. Obvious this poor soul was not a spotter, otherwise he would have headed for Bayswater or Inwood. Put yourself in this guys shoes..............what would have you done?
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Instead of persecuting the poor soul, they should be perscuting Raytheon for system failure. I am surprised that the PANYNJ doesn't perform some sort of annual system intrusion test to make sure that the system is up to par and validate it's functioning as intended. Obvious this poor soul was not a spotter, otherwise he would have headed for Bayswater or Inwood. Put yourself in this guys shoes..............what would have you done?
    I probably wouldn't cross an active runway, but we know better than that. I would probably just sit on the shore, and if need be, bash a piece of electronics I see until a repair guy comes to fix it ;-)