Thread: LGA 8-12-12

LGA 8-12-12

Hi, everyone!

A friend came over from Frankfurt to do some spotting in NYC and we decided to have a go at LGA. And what do you know, we found a spot - if you can call it that - where we were able to take a few snaps. Can't say I would go back though. In any event, I did get my first glimpse of LGA. Here are the first few photos.

And the view from Hermon A. MacNeil Park

Have a nice week,
    Marcelo

I think I know where you were taking those shots from. If it is indeed where I think, did you happen to see any mafia/gangs there!?
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Not really, but it was a bit shabby and I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon - I'd rather wait for the right season to spot at LGA ;)

There no mafia/gangs where he was, but it's not the safest area. I grew up about 3 blocks from there and played in that area...it's where my own passion formed because I was watching the planes. It's also where I cut my hand open while spotting, requiring surgery and still have numbness in my thumb. There's a reason we don't promote it on the spotter guide haha.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Well, the photos were not really easy to take - all at 400mm or more (cropped) and we had to watch out for a very small window in between trees. But I have to say, LGA is pretty amazing and I will definitely make my way back again. The spot where we actually took the photos from was ok - some of the surrounding areas were a bit abandoned so I didn't feel too comfortable there - and it was located right next to a the Waterview Nursing Care Center. Is there no place where you can spot at LGA during the summer months? I was aching for some photos with any kind of backdrop - not just the standard approach shots (which I do enjoy as well)...

Marcelo,

For LGA, depends on the time of day, time of year and what RWYs are in use. The official spots all work well... Anyway. For 22 arrivals in the morning, the best bet is the Hermon MacNeil Park, College Point. This is also somewhat good for RWY 4 departures. Not that close for departures and depends on the direction they take upon liftoff.

In the afternoon, you will need to go to The Bronx. There is a new park opening up that I need to document. Last time I was there it was still closed to the public but was almost finished. This is what it looks like from this new location in late afternoon:

I have never shot RWY 4 departures.

For 31 arrivals, your bet is the Marina. In winter, I guess you can try your luck at the Home Depot in College Point but it is not an official spot. You also may not like the belly bank shots as they turn hard left around the stadium to line up with the RWY. In the afternoon, you can stay at the Marina until sunset.

13 departures are similarly spotted from Marina or Home Depot. Although, again, they may be at an odd angle to your taste. You can also use the people overpass near the gas station to get a long shot as they come up over the Delta terminal. Not a fan due to heat haze.

RWY 4 approaches are just amazing as are 22 departures... You have Plainview Park and Landing Lights park depending on the shot you're looking for. Here are some of mine from those locations.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...h?&q=manny+lga

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

I usually have the RWY in the description but if you have questions, just ask :-)

RWY 31 departures: FORGET IT
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I really wouldn't recommend that location for many reasons, though I admit I have actively employed the entire area just because that's where I used to play growing up. Otherwise, it's simply not safe. Your shots look good, and yes, it is a stretch even for a 400mm.

FYI, I edited and deleted a couple posts in the thread because of member interaction issues. Not a huge deal but let's keep it civil and friendly. Thanks guys!

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I too visited LGA for the first time last week, and I would agree that it is pretty amazing. Hard to compare it with JFK, but I felt that what it lacked in variety of aircraft/airlines it made up for in convenience. I was there on 2 separate mornings, Wednesday and Friday, and both days the weather was sub-par. But I was able to scout out a few locations from the Spotting Guides. Herman McNeil park in College Point had similar views to what you were getting (a little more north). There is a paved path right along the water there, and if you walk down it a bit you get to a point where you can watch all the way down final to touchdown. ATC was calling out planes on 1-mile final when they were roughly even with my position (both times I was there they were landing 22 and departing 13). Sample shot from that spot below. Again, the weather was crap but you can see the possibilities. Felt very safe there, lots of locals (mostly Koreans I believe) walking their dogs, running, even one guy fishing. Plenty of parking on the street too, what more can you ask for?

Edit: Phil and Manny had a lot of good tips that they posted while I was typing up my response!
    Last edited by Landing Lights; 2012-08-13 at 01:23 PM.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]