Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBI 8-11-12 [Inside Terminal]

PBI 8-11-12 [Inside Terminal]

Here we go again! This time, I was beyond the TSA secured checkpoint at PBI. I was taking the long walk down to the jetblue gates, snapping some pictures on my phone of the empty terminal along the way. About 1/4 of the way down, a woman rushes up to me and says "what are you taking pictures of???"
    I simply respond "the terminal.
    She asks "why?"
    "Because it's cool seeing it empty."
    "You need to go right to your gate."
    "I'm beyond the TSA checkpoint, is there an issue?"
    "You need to go straight to your gate, or I will call over the TSA and a BDO (???) officer about this."
    "Am I not allowed to take pictures within the terminal?"
    "Go straight to your gate, or I will be calling over an officer."
    ".....ok"

Never, anywhere, have I had an issue taking pictures of a terminal. Especially surprising considering I wasn't even taking pictures of planes, just the terminal. I will be calling airport management tomorrow to discuss this incident, as there is no excuse to treat a passenger like that.

Was I in the wrong in any way?
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

In some terminals it is illegal to take pictures. Not saying this one. But each airport has its own rules.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Yea. Once I sat down here, I attempted to find any such rule/law/regulation, but had no luck. It's not on their website, nor did I see it posted anywhere. Even if it is against policy, no passenger should ever be threatened to walk to their gate or else. Ever.

This is the unfortunate world we live in.......paranoia, suspicion, etc.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Jason, at JFK, the TERMINALS are managed and operated by the lead airline with the exception of T4. So, at T5, jetBlue sets the rules, whatever they are. T7, British Air, T8, American, etc. etc. So, while it may be unpleasant, your beef should be the way you were treated perhaps, not the picture taking as it may be against the landlord's wishes.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    One question that hasn't really been answered: who was this woman? Did she work for the airport?...random freaked out pax?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Jason, at JFK, the TERMINALS are managed and operated by the lead airline with the exception of T4. So, at T5, jetBlue sets the rules, whatever they are. T7, British Air, T8, American, etc. etc. So, while it may be unpleasant, your beef should be the way you were treated perhaps, not the picture taking as it may be against the landlord's wishes.
    My beef is indeed with the way I was treated. If there is policy against taking photos inside the terminal, simply informing me of that would suffice. No need to threaten.

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    One question that hasn't really been answered: who was this woman? Did she work for the airport?...random freaked out pax?
    She did indeed work for the airport, some management type who probably had a crappy day. Was not a pax.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Here we go again! This time, I was beyond the TSA secured checkpoint at PBI. I was taking the long walk down to the jetblue gates, snapping some pictures on my phone of the empty terminal along the way. About 1/4 of the way down, a woman rushes up to me and says "what are you taking pictures of???"
    She asks "why?"
    "You need to go straight to your gate, or I will call over the TSA and a BDO (???) officer about this."
    ".....ok"

Never, anywhere, have I had an issue taking pictures of a terminal. Especially surprising considering I wasn't even taking pictures of planes, just the terminal. I will be calling airport management tomorrow to discuss this incident, as there is no excuse to treat a passenger like that.

A follow up letter CCed to whomever is in charge of public relations might be worth it to make sure said person is properly retrained for such a scenario, should it be discovered that you were not in the wrong, which is more than likely the case.

She asks "why?"
    ".....ok"

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/bdo/index.shtm

BDO=Behavior Detection Officer

I might have requested the BDO. Maybe a conversation like this: "Ma'am, I'll head to the gate, but you're obviously uncomfortable with my actions, however innocent they may be. To ease your fears and to reduce any possibility of suspicion of me, I'm requesting that you have the TSA agent and BDO come over and talk to me."

That puts the ball in her court. You're being polite and you're not being antagonistic, but you're calling her bluff at the same time. If it happens again, give that a shot and see what happens.

I was not aware that any airports outside of BOS and BWI had these behavior detection officers. Interesting.
    Anywho, on my way in, I had a chat with a friendly TSA officer who was checking IDs about the airport and my flight. I'm sure they would have been quite puzzled about the employees actions.
    I will be calling PBI tomorrow to get clarification on their picture taking policy.

I was not aware that any airports outside of BOS and BWI had these behavior detection officers. Interesting.
    Anywho, on my way in, I had a chat with a friendly TSA officer who was checking IDs about the airport and my flight. I'm sure they would have been quite puzzled about the employees actions.
    I will be calling PBI tomorrow to get clarification on their picture taking policy.
    I'll be interested to see what they have to say...

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Better just to avoid the whole thing than start measuring dicks with the TSA. A follow-up with airport public affairs is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Better just to avoid the whole thing than start measuring dicks with the TSA. A follow-up with airport public affairs is the way to go.
    Agreed. Better to measure brains with the folks in PR than to measure ****s with folks who can insist you sit in a locked room until they're ready for you to sit elsewhere. They'll always BE bigger ****s regardless if who HAS a bigger ****.

Wow, man. You have WAY more patience with morons than I do. I would have ended up in the locked room for sure! Sorry, but I can't condone someone attempting to treat me like a criminal like that, for doing nothing more than taking pictures. If there are no signs saying 'no photography'(which in itself I can't see as being legal), it's insane that someone could threaten to call officers over. Guess I would have had my day ruined. I'm no lawyer, but I can't see how this is permissable behavior in this country.

Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts, United States
    It's permissible because it's the Federal Government. There ain't a thing we can do about it.