Thread: What Issues Are Important To You?

What Issues Are Important To You?

As we near a major Presidential election, what issues are important to you? I'm not referring to which party or candidate (and am NOT looking to debate that here), but what topics do you want changed or addressed in the US?

For me, I want healthcare that reduces the strong power that pharmaceutical and insurance companies have...I don't think they should have ANY influence on how I am treated.

I DON'T want gun control that prevents law abiding citizens from protecting themselves.

I want the space program to be expanded upon, to truly invest in our future.

I want politicians to stop wasting our money on pet projects, while nickle and diming citizens with bull taxes.

Most importantly, I want politicians that will start voting on bills based on what's right for the American people, even if it is presented by the "opposing" party. Politicians these days are more concerned with protecting their party and preventing credit from being given to the other party, than taking care of the country's citizens. Both sides are guilty.

You?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

As long as my taxes are low, or none at all, I am a happy camper :-) Although I am very liberal in my view of the world and want to leave everyone alone to mind their business and be left alone to mind mine... as long as no one is hurt, go for it. But, as for my money, I am as conservative as George Washington -- ok maybe that's too far back... Reagan work?

I believe I should be left alone to make my own decisions. Hell yeah I should be allowed to carry a gun and protect myself and my property. I do NOT like big government and I believe companies and industry that makes mistakes should not be bailed out by the government over and over and over again. I definitely do not believe in subsidies.

I will admit that I do not pay much attention to the complexities of the subsidy base and industries like Farming and Aviation and such that it could impact our national security. So I tend to stay quiet on such issues. I may not like it but I understand there are bigger reasons that maintain (or not so much) our global standing and competitive edge.

As much as healthcare, EVERY PERSON in America should be entitled to a full 4 year college degree for free... zero cost... public colleges or military academies. I think this is KEY to our future. Everyone needs to have access to a free education. Potential for greatness lies within each and everyone of us... an untapped mind a total waste!! And too many go to work after High School for lack of financial capacity to explore a higher education. If they can pay TRILLIONS on weapons, I am sure we can find a way to pay for a decent school for anyone wanting to go.

Finally, I want to see reform on immigration. Sure there should NOT be an open door policy but our principles have always been to welcome those who have ran their course at home. As long as you work your share and produce, I don't mind you as a neighbor.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Firstly............I hate hate politics and politicians. I don't think they look out for the best interest of America and their constituents.

I am sickened by big brother watching and inhibiting our freedom which is what America stands for. I believe there is so much monies wasted in DHS. I agree totally with you Phil on the insurance mongols.

One thing I'd like to see in the medical arena is standardizing and digitalizing medicals records. After awhile, one gets sick of filling out forms, that ask the same information over and over. Oh yeah........fix medical fraud as well.

I too believe we should be investing in NASA and their bright engineers.........Look what they accomplished this morning!!! I am all for research and development.

There are way too many dollars being spent on non-essential military programs. Those dollars could be better utilized for America.

America needs to start rebuilding and investing in itself and not oversea's, we have too many issues here.

I am with Manny on immigration reform.....I came from aboard (at that time it was a Communist country), and my parents went through loops and hoops to finally enter America. My parents didn't speak a lick of english, they went to school at night to learn some of the basics. They worked hard for their American Dream. I feel the Goverment should help those that want to come here, but they need to give back, no free rides. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but just as English is the official/primary language for aviation. It should be the official language (sometimes I feel like I'm in a foreign land). I was a foreigner and I had to learn it (but I still have my heritage).

Energy is another topic...........we have plenty of resources here. I am sickened by these mongols as well (profits in the billions). America needs to be less dependent on imports. If we were able to put men on the moon and land a rover on Mars, then we can accomplish this.

To do some of these things, doesn't take a politician, but a leader who is committed to the American people irrelvant of what party one may or may not support.

Enough of my BMW (Bitching, Moaning and Whining) LoL
    Last edited by Zee71; 2012-08-06 at 09:36 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    For me, I want healthcare that reduces the strong power that pharmaceutical and insurance companies have...I don't think they should have ANY influence on how I am treated.
    Then just let us go over state lines for it. Competition will bring cost down. Unfortunately both parties want to keep it status quo by passing a bill that just makes the rich pay the bill for those without health care without tackling the cost. Basically giving the health care industry millions of new customers without any reform and getting the rich to pay for it. Insanity.

I DON'T want gun control that prevents law abiding citizens from protecting themselves.
    The gun control debate is a smoke screen. We do need bills that ban high volume clips for pistols and gets rid of the gun show loophole etc but the far left wants us to have no guns and the far right wants no bills passed that have to do with guns. Funny thing is the current congress assures the fact no gun bill will ever see a vote and it won't change any time soon.

Finally, I want to see reform on immigration. Sure there should NOT be an open door policy but our principles have always been to welcome those who have ran their course at home. As long as you work your share and produce, I don't mind you as a neighbor.
    Unfortunately the person pushing the current DREAM act is an idiot. Reid basically wants an open border policy. The DREAM act with a few mods like mandatory military service and other things could pass and be good but again the fringe just destroys any debate and it just flatlines. As long as we keep rewarding sneaking in here I don't see any real reform any time soon. Especially when every two years is a crucial election for control of the congress.

Most importantly, I want politicians that will start voting on bills based on what's right for the American people, even if it is presented by the "opposing" party. Politicians these days are more concerned with protecting their party and preventing credit from being given to the other party, than taking care of the country's citizens. Both sides are guilty.
    With social media and the 24 hour news cycle those days are probably gone. Our current political climate is a fringe congress and a president that gets elected by people in the middle going by what he says on the campaign. Which unless he is very brave just changes once he is inaugurated. Along with the Senate Filabuster rule getting real legislation done is next to impossible.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts, United States
    This is easy. 1. Repeal the Affordable Care Act. Why should I be forced (for the first time EVER!) to buy a product or service? 2. CLOSE THE BORDERS! Nuff said. 3. DRILL BABY DRILL! Do you really want to be Brazil's "Best Customer"? Why should we (the taxpayers) be subsidizing their drilling/exploration industry when we have plenty here? 4. Enough with the class warfare rhetoric. I don't begrudge anyone their success. If they put in the long hours to succeed, then they should enjoy the fruits of their labors. 5. Whoever wins, get rid of all the unelected "CZARS" that make policies that affect us all. There is no mechanism in place that allows "We the People" to get of "They the Unelected". This needs to change. 6. AUDIT THE FED! I'm no Ron Paul supporter by any stretch, but he does have a great idea here.

I kinda gotta agree on the "audit the fed".

Regarding immigration, I think we need to tighten the border, physically, and make our citizenship process more accessible toward those that want to get in.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by jhickman View Post
    This is easy. 1. Repeal the Affordable Care Act. Why should I be forced (for the first time EVER!) to buy a product or service?
    Two reasons - first off, under the ACA, insurance companies can't deny you coverage or charge you more, if you have a pre-existing condition. Without a requirement to carry insurance, there would be nothing stopping someone from waiting until they are seriously ill to buy it, therefor defeating the purpose of insurance. Second, if you don't have insurance, and get hit by a bus, everyone else will be paying for your medical treatment (unless you happen to be independently wealthy and can pay for it out of pocket.) I'll make you a deal - you don't want insurance, wear one of those medic-alert braclets, so if the paramedics come across you, they will leave you to die on the side of the road.

BTW - do you own/drive a car? If so, you are probably being "forced" to buy insurance there as well...

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I kinda gotta agree on the "audit the fed".

Regarding immigration, I think we need to tighten the border, physically, and make our citizenship process more accessible toward those that want to get in.
    One of the things that makes me laugh the most is that for any immigration reform to begin the border has to be secured. Which gets ignored all of the time. It is probably the biggest reason the DREAM act in it's current form has no chance.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts, United States
    Yup. I own a car. Apples and oranges. Auto Insurance, as you may or may not know, is mandated at the STATE level. The Federal Government has NOTHING to do with it. Secondly, who do you think is paying for all the illegals' medical care? Yup. We are. So as a result, why do you think that medical care gets more expensive for everyone? Also, by your estimation and/or logic, if the Federal Government decrees that we all MUST by Chevy Volts under the guise of being Environmentally Friendly, then that's just fine by you? Great! Do me a favor? You can fight to give your rights away all you want. Let me fight to keep mine. One more thing. How in the world did our parents and Grandparents ever make it through life without ACA? Now about that bus................

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    BTW - do you own/drive a car? If so, you are probably being "forced" to buy insurance there as well...
    True but driving is a privilege, not a right.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187