Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK Spotting Aug 4th Afternoon

JFK Spotting Aug 4th Afternoon

Hi Guys
    My Sister in las just had a baby so I am going to be int he NYC area this weekend and was thinking of fullfilling one of my dreams of doing some spotting a JFK. Having never been there I am looking for a guild or two. Like I said I have always wanted to do it and I think I finally have a chance to sneak in a few hours this saturday afternoon.

If anyone is willing to meet up with me let me know.

Regards

Ray

I planned to do some JFK shooting on Sunday, but I'll see if I can get out on Saturday for a few mins

see the planespotting map if you haven't already, it'll give you an idea of where to be

I checked out the map. I am thinking I will head to B spot or F spot. I am pretty pumped about this! Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect to see?

Aslo should I expect a hassle from anyone?

Regards

Ray from Ontario Canada

Ray, I'll be out on the 4th, hope to see you out there.. Also it depend in the runways their using..

Ray, B and F only work for RWY22 ops, which does seem to get a significant amount of action. During the typical 13L/22L split arrivals JFK tends to do, the European flights come in on 22L. F would be better in the morning, B better in the afternoon hours.

That said, neither spot will work if they're using the 31's. But, they tend to rotate things around pretty regularly unless winds are strong enough to dictate runway choice. So, you could be sitting in the right place and all of a sudden it gets dead or be wondering why you came to a certain spot when all of a sudden things get busy. Not sure who comes in on the weekends, some of the regulars are Virgin, British, Aer Lingus, JetBlue, American, Iberia, Singapore, South African, and a LOT of Delta. Others here can add to that.
    Welcome to JFK

I may try to make it out late afternoon. In addition to what my friend Megatop posted..........your spotting locations will be dictated by what runway(s) are being utilized, where the sun is, and whether you want to catch arrivals or departing flights. From experience, a 70-300mm or a 100-400mm should be suitable. Word of warning............purchase some bug spray that has DEET (you will thank me later) before you head out to these spotting locations!. If you are shooting from spot B (aka.....The Mounds), I suggest you shoot from the soccer field (if there isn't a game), or the perimeter of the soccer field if there is a game. Going up to the mounds during this time of the season sucks........too many bugs in my view and too many weeds.

Otherwise happy spotting and hope to see ya.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

well I printed out the spotting guild. I am hoping for 22l/r usage as based off what it says there those seem to be best fo rnot having cops bugging you. I feel like I might be an even bigger target for them being from Canada and all.

Anyway I will be wearing a Boston Bruins T-Shirt for those that might come out to meet me.

Anyway I have high hope for this trip.

I usually go so YYZ as its about an hour from me.

There is all Air Canada 80%

The only delta AA etc are either RJ or 737 mostly from AA so for me even seeing a Delta or AA 757 or 767 is a great change. Also don't see Jetblue there either.

Anyway I figure since I am down in NYC I might at well spot at one of the coolest airports in world.

Well enjoy the deltas and jet blues (you will get your fill for the year in the average day at JFK).....can we maybe exchange some of them to you for some more air canadas? I unfortunately will be running around a lot Sunday so I'm doubtful. Welcome, and I hope you get to meet some members. I met my first today and it was a positive experience.

Cops are a non-issue. They do come around, but most interactions turn into good conversations and they end up leaving you alone. That is, if you carry ID and a smile. If one of us is with you we'll be happy to do the talking for you. If not, I would just explain that you're an out of town plane spotter and have come to the area to enjoy the variety of planes(the truth).

Also I just thought of something- maybe the others can confirm this- spot 'F'(North Woodmere park)- the park has a gated entrance and during the summer the at least used to ask for your Nassau County ID card- not sure if they still do this but the guy in the booth gave me a hard time for a minute about 10 years ago because I no longer lived in Nassau- he eventually let me through but I told him I was a former resident

That should only be on the weekends. But yea, at NW Park in the summer, you might have to show ID to park.....or simply park outside the park and walk in.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

I'll be on AA100, 777 dept at 6:10pm, if anyone wants to take of the plane I'm on as I leave. ;)

Guys what time are you going out? let me know the the time and location...i'll like to meet up with you guys...

Sorry I couldnt get out. Just finished doing some more work on my moms house.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Hey guys
    Thanks to those who came out today and made my visit an awesome one. Its sucks my camera decide to pass away. i still am happy to have seen what I did with you guys. So ya thanks for hanging out.

Did the QF with the Boxing gloves come in on 22L?

Anyway I hope to do the JFK thing again except for a full day.

Thanks Again

Ray