Thread: A380 debuts in the Lone Star State

A380 debuts in the Lone Star State

Got a surprise e-mail today about a party to welcome the first A380 to IAH as Lufthansa switches their IAH service from the 747 to the A380. Although the position of the viewing area wasn't the best, and you couldn't bring a ladder to see over the fence since they didn't want any unobstructed views. But, despite that, it was still very well set up with free live music, free food, the 'airport rangers' riding on horseback and handing out free water, ATC over the PA-and a bit of history! With daily A380 service now underway, expect better photos from the future from Lee Rd and 27L spotting areas (neither would have worked today since IAH reserved 26R for the A380)

Nice shots. Looks like a pretty impressive turnout.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Nice coverage, Nick! LH posted some nice ones from the ground on their FB page

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Few more shots of the grounds, including the Airport Rangers. Turns out, the music was provided by a pretty well-known German heritage band in this area. I've already seen them perform a couple times-they are not to be missed!

something tells me that last shot is of one of the relatively few 737-100's that were built before production switched to the -200 as it looks a bit short to be a -200- I wonder how Houston SWAT came into possession of it- ex Continental maybe?

And welcome to the world of A380's!

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    something tells me that last shot is of one of the relatively few 737-100's that were built before production switched to the -200 as it looks a bit short to be a -200- I wonder how Houston SWAT came into possession of it- ex Continental maybe?

And welcome to the world of A380's!
    Actually, all appearances hint that it's a former T-43 trainer out of Randolph AFB. The color scheme, windows, and tailcode all match up. What happened afterwards is anyone's guess, I am sure there is a story!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_T-43

Also-glad to be in the world of A380s!

That's a former USAF C-43 which was used for Undergraduate Navigator Training. They were originally assigned to Mather AFB, CA, but when Mather was closed in the early 1990s, the aircraft were reassigned to Randolph AFB, TX. That's the original USAF serial number on the tail - looks like it is 73-1150. All the T-43s were retired as of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    That's a former USAF C-43 which was used for Undergraduate Navigator Training. They were originally assigned to Mather AFB, CA, but when Mather was closed in the early 1990s, the aircraft were reassigned to Randolph AFB, TX. That's the original USAF serial number on the tail - looks like it is 73-1150. All the T-43s were retired as of 2010.
    Thanks for the info. Here's the story on the aircraft: http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/...ry-814241.html

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ng-1711954.php
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-08-01 at 09:00 PM.

I appreciate the story on the T-43, Perriwen. A while back, Nick P posted some shots from IAH, and I saw it in the background on the other side of the field, but we couldn't figure out what it was all about - he heard various rumors about it, but now we know the real deal!

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I appreciate the story on the T-43, Perriwen. A while back, Nick P posted some shots from IAH, and I saw it in the background on the other side of the field, but we couldn't figure out what it was all about - he heard various rumors about it, but now we know the real deal!
    Glad to help out! And now we can respond to the last post in that thread with 'mystery solved'! lol

I stand corrected, fascinating story in those links, thank you both