Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Cancels "Flight"

Microsoft Cancels "Flight"

Microsoft's follow-up to the defunct Flight Simulator series, Flight, has now also been shelved barely six months after release.

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/microso...ps-work-flight

Anyone play it? I never did but it seemed like more a game than a simulator from what I had seen.
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2012-07-27 at 01:54 AM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Good, it was terrible! What a waste of resources. Maybe, just maybe, they will reboot Flight sim.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Good, it was terrible! What a waste of resources. Maybe, just maybe, they will reboot Flight sim.
    Who needs Flight Sim anymore?
    http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/

Maybe Microsoft now realizes that they should have listened to their loyal fan base instead of trying to be greedy. Too bad 35 people had to be laid off because of bad business decisions.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Flight stunk. Tried it once. Waste of time.

Hooray! My prayers have been answered! That sh*t sucked

With that said, I'm off to boot up FS9, a real sim

I'm still running FS2004 on a 10 year old Gateway. Still love it. Hoping to move up to FSX someday on better hardware.

MS Flight was a curiosity to me. All those early "Teaser" Trailers, at first, made it seem like it would be an awesome rewrite. But slowly over time, as more details emerged, it seemed like MS was in fact turning the SIMULATOR into a GAME. Big disappointment! They just don't get what they had in the FS franchise. Makes me wonder what they were thinking and why they didn't see this eventuality ahead of time. FS has been a major success for MS over two decades - there's no excuse for this debacle.

To fix this shortsighted gaffe, all they need to do is announce that FLIGHT SIMULATOR will return, right where FSX left off, and the Pre-Orders will start pouring in. Oh, and maybe port it to the Mac, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbagel_001 View Post
    To fix this shortsighted gaffe, all they need to do is announce that FLIGHT SIMULATOR will return, right where FSX left off, and the Pre-Orders will start pouring in. Oh, and maybe port it to the Mac, too!
    Check out the link I posted above. A product that builds from where FSX left off already exists. And it's developed by a company that might know a thing or two about aviation

At $200, Prepar3D better be better (sic) and indeed it looks promising. I saw a demo

that just blew me away. Although Flight Sim was getting so good, the scenery with the right video card was jaw dropping.

I will be in Redmond again hopefully this winter and plan to get a tour of the game building at Microsoft and hopefully get to ask about the fate of Flight Sim.

R.I.P. Flight! You will NOT be missed.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Prepar3D, I believe, was built upon the source code for Flight Sim X.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Check out the link I posted above. A product that builds from where FSX left off already exists. And it's developed by a company that might know a thing or two about aviation
    You can get the 'student version' for $50. Not sure what the differences would be.

Personally, DCS for me. :) X-Plane comes in close second. The FS series felt too...plain.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    You can get the 'student version' for $50. Not sure what the differences would be.

Personally, DCS for me. :) X-Plane comes in close second. The FS series felt too...plain.
    I believe it just has a small Academic version watermark in the corner of the sim. Orbx has P3D support. That's all I need to know.

I believe it just has a small Academic version watermark in the corner of the sim. Orbx has P3D support. That's all I need to know.
    The main thing that turned me off from flight sim (and X-Plane, which is why it is second to DCS in my book) is the disk space hogging. I had FSX Gold, plus a small handful of addons-not a terribly large amount. When I uninstalled it, I noticed 150+ gigs suddenly freed up on my hard disk. If LM can find a way to streamline file sizes to a more compressed form, they've sold me.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    The main thing that turned me off from flight sim (and X-Plane, which is why it is second to DCS in my book) is the disk space hogging. I had FSX Gold, plus a small handful of addons-not a terribly large amount. When I uninstalled it, I noticed 150+ gigs suddenly freed up on my hard disk. If LM can find a way to streamline file sizes to a more compressed form, they've sold me.
    Come on, it's 2012...big hard drives are cheap If they compress the files more, I'd be worried about the extra processing time/power it takes to decompress them, and its effect on frame rates. At times, I can get over 100fps at 4000px+ wide resolution, spanning 3 monitors, on my aging cheap desktop -- so if that takes some extra hard drive space to accomplish that, I'm all for it :) Did you try Orbx scenery when you had FSX? It's truly awesome.

Come on, it's 2012...big hard drives are cheap If they compress the files more, I'd be worried about the extra processing time/power it takes to decompress them, and its effect on frame rates. At times, I can get over 100fps at 4000px+ wide resolution, spanning 3 monitors, on my aging cheap desktop -- so if that takes some extra hard drive space to accomplish that, I'm all for it :) Did you try Orbx scenery when you had FSX? It's truly awesome.
    I actually do own their Avalon scenery. It looks really nice, but it ran like a slideshow on my older computer. Now on my newer one, I might give it another go.