Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northeast Weatherpocalypse Discussion 7/26/12

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    seriously, got a meteorologic question Phil. Is the storm is coming from the west and as it passes over NYC, do all the tall buildings have any sort of a "buffering" or lessening effect of winds coming from the north? In other words, do the buildinsg of manhattan act as a bit of a wall or barrier and soften the winds that hit ares just east of manhattan, such as rossevet island and queens/LIC?
    I don't think the buildings have any effect, other than to take the brunt of lightning strikes. On the contrary, the shore itself has more of a protecting effect, especially in the Spring months. Since the water is still cool, the air above it is cooler as well, causing the storm to lose its fuel of warm/hot air, and stalling the storm.

The only way a structure can affect weather is if they were actual mountains.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

About 815 and all at once, 50 some odd aircraft (or whatever the number is...who knows) at JFK called in to shut down engines. Madness. Now its all silent at 821 and the tower is just BSing with the aircraft and planning for departures. Crazy.
    Last edited by rkfast; 2012-07-26 at 08:24 PM.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Well most of the nasty stuff passed and here is what happened in southwestern Suffolk (Copiague).

As the storm approached winds picked up, a couple of minutes later there were some flashes of lightening and the skies really opened up. After that the wind died and there were constant flashes of lightening and then it slowly tapered off.

I have to say for where I am, the storm was not nearly as severe as advertised (which is a good thing). They were spot on about the rain though, the skies really did open up. I have to say the July 18th thunderstorms were much more intense.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Watched Delta 216 buzz back out of JFK after trying to land just before the storm. Apparently, they were just 100 AGL before headed back up and diverting to PVD.

Last edited by yankees368; 2012-07-26 at 09:42 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51 View Post
    Well most of the nasty stuff passed and here is what happened in southwestern Suffolk (Copiague).
    As the storm approached winds picked up, a couple of minutes later there were some flashes of lightening and the skies really opened up. After that the wind died and there were constant flashes of lightening and then it slowly tapered off.
    I have to say for where I am, the storm was not nearly as severe as advertised (which is a good thing). They were spot on about the rain though, the skies really did open up. I have to say the July 18th thunderstorms were much more intense.
    I was thinking the same thing. Scary dark clouds, wild lightning and that was it. Not even that much rain here in Plainview (Eastern Nassau). Just saw a departure overhead and a few 22s
    just passed by also. And from FB posts and a few texts we were lucky as other areas got the brunt especially closer into the city!!

i was out on my bike ride with my group of guys and rode right into the teeth of that thing...wind almost blew us over, couldn't see anything, stinging rain and lot of lightening....another day in the life of a stupid cyclist =P
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Definitely weakened as it came up to to the eastern border of NJ. Glad!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I Just saw a departure overhead and a few 22s
    just passed by also.
    10:45 went out with my dogs as the rain had stopped and skies clearing and a 22 passed over head. I would say about 15 seconds later a second 22 arrival passed by a little south of me, not that high and it looked like he was racing to catch up to the first one I saw!! Pretty wild!! From my backyard I have a nice clear view to the SE and see more 22 arrivals coming in!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Definitely weakened as it came up to to the eastern border of NJ. Glad!
    Seemed like after it hit the city it weakened and it was a fast mover!! Upstate and parts of Jersey got rocked though!! Just saw Lee Goldberg on ABC7 and radar shows more rain/storms off and on through tomorrow morning!!

"I'm not Lloyd Lindsay Young or anything like that." -JFK tower during the worst of the storm telling a helicopter pilot the forecast didn't look so good.

Here's a clip of LLY doing the weather on Channel 9 circa mid- to late-80s I would guess.

Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2012-07-27 at 12:53 AM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    "I'm not Lloyd Lindsay Young or anything like that." -JFK tower during the worst of the storm telling a helicopter pilot the forecast didn't look so good.
    Thats hilarious. And I guess the copter thought it could outrun the storm? That could be dangerous. Any identifier?

what an awesome clip, I totally forgot about that guy

what it looked like down here- got some debris including a bird being tossed around

I ain't no Lloyd Lindsey Young either but I thought this was going to turn into something right in front of my house

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post

Here's a clip of LLY doing the weather on Channel 9 circa mid- to late-80s I would guess.

I heard that. It was hysterical. Apparently the copter pilot didn't get the reference, or has no sense of humor. I almost Missed my exit laughing.