Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JFK 7/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I don't know how many times I had a couple free hours and wanted to spot at JFK but didn't because I had to factor in the Van Wyck traffic time. :(
    I finish work at 5:00pm. Given the sunset at 8:30pm, it gives me a lot of time for spotting. Even LGA with traffic and bridge nonsense makes me say, nah... unless it is super special, I usually won't go.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny, you can sleep on the couch if you ever want a close spot to JFK for the night

The 2 mile drive down Peninsula Blvd. can sometimes take me 5 minutes to get to Panera, though.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    The 2 mile drive down Peninsula Blvd. can sometimes take me 5 minutes to get to Panera, though.
    I can only wish. BEst I ever had it was Sonesta Hotel, Maho Beach... Iwould trip over the front door and be on the sand spotting. Heck, I spotted from my room
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I can only wish. BEst I ever had it was Sonesta Hotel, Maho Beach... Iwould trip over the front door and be on the sand spotting. Heck, I spotted from my room
    As you know, I often spot from my room :-)
    However, I think I'm a tad further away from the action than you were at Maho Beach. I really need to get there some day.

Decent... actually not as bad as I had expected. I actually did not feel like going to Howard Beach area at all due to the hellish traffic to get back home. Even then, it took me 1.5 hours to get home, 45 minutes of it just on the Van Wyck to GCP interchange...
    You should take woodhaven blvd.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Stephen, great shots. We kept wondering where you were. Snagged a few good ones at The Mounds!
    Thanks Manny. Much like the conversation that this thread has started, I decided that dealing with traffic was not worth sticking around for. Especially since I had to be up at 3am this morning to make it to work early. I do wish I had stayed after seeing the Qantas was a special. I am really bummed that I passed up the chance to head to the mounds to get the green Cathay departing that I didn't get as it passed through my rear-view mirror while I was parked at the mounds after lunch waiting for the light to roll over to the west side. Oh well......the hunt continues...
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    As you know, I often spot from my room :-)
    However, I think I'm a tad further away from the action than you were at Maho Beach. I really need to get there some day.
    December my friend, NYCA Conference this year

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    You should take woodhaven blvd.
    Ha! and end up in a dead end? No thanks. I was married to Woodhaven BLVD way back in the late 80s early 90s when I had to work in Far Rockaway beach but just to GET TO the start of it by the L.I.E. was a challenge in itself. Let's be real here, JFK sucks ass to get to if you live anywhere past the Belt or the Van Wyck, period.
    Manny Gonzalez

Great stuff Steve.............if I knew you were out, I would have gotten you some coffee and some donuts on my way to work. I was hoping to catch the AeroMexico SkyTeam, but I couldn't get out of work earlier. I'll try to post some of my images later tonight. Another thing to keep a watchful eye for is probably the morning arrival for AbxAir. The new paint scheme on the a 767-383ER with DHL titles (its........operated by AbxAir). The registration of the bird is N220CY.............I like the new scheme.

Manny is absolutely right about Woodhaven Blvd., during rush hour to and from the city it's a bear!!! Too many cabs, liveries, trucks and commuters on that road. I even avoid it and take local side streets to get back home from Woodhaven when visiting relatives or doing work on my moms house.

The best way for Manny to get back home would be via Sam Chui's helicopter! :)

Honestly, I think Lefferts Blvd. may work, even with all the traffic light until you get to the Interboro Parkway (or Jackie Robinson Parkway) and GCP.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Ok. Guys. Well Woodhaven Blvd is my alternate to the Van Wyck most of the time. I use it frequently and find it much faster even during rush hour.

Lefferts may be OK to JRP to GCP.

Eric, the problem is not that Woodhaven is bad or not. It leaves me at a dead end on the way home. If it went all the way to the GCP / La Guardia, it'd be worth it. But to the L.I.E. I'd still have to hit the world's largest parking lot to get to either the GCP or the BQE or worse, Manhattan!

I have used it coming to JFK from Midtown but then again, so are the cabbies and like Mark said, it can be pretty poor too if it is bad enough. Can;t win :-)

Didn't feel like switching lenses so here is a hastily put together panorama :P Right-click view image for a larger version.

Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-07-17 at 09:08 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez

December my friend, NYCA Conference this year :tongue;
    Bring it on! Though I looked at using my Delta miles for that, and the website basically laughed at me.

Steve great lighting you got on that first shot of the ElAl

I've had more than once when it took me a half hour to get from Panera just to JFK! Rockaway Blvd can be just as bad.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I've had more than once when it took me a half hour to get from Panera just to JFK! Rockaway Blvd can be just as bad.
    Rockaway is horrible, you have to go around sometimes. Peninsula to Branch blvd to Park Ln to Rosedale rd to 147ST. It sounds like a lot of turns but sometimes its faster then waiting in traffic on Rockaway blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    Rockaway is horrible, you have to go around sometimes. Peninsula to Branch blvd to Park Ln to Rosedale rd to 147ST. It sounds like a lot of turns but sometimes its faster then waiting in traffic on Rockaway blvd.
    I believe you :-)
    Manny Gonzalez