Thread: UN Week!!

UN Week!!

Hello all

Hope everyone is well with the JFK spotters!! I am planning to come down to NYC again this year to try to get some UN traffic!!
    Last year I screwed up and came a week early and missed all the UN flights.
    Can anyone give me an idea about what days you will find most of the flights coming in, especially on a Saturday, so that I can get as much UN flights as possible, and also some JFK traffic I have missed in my last visits. Need to get Qatar B77W, Hawaiian A330, Singapore A380,etc.
    thanks in advance for any information I receive, hope to see some of ya in September, thanks again, Kelli (B77WYYZ) from Canada.

Kelli, I think I remember you :-) Welcome back.

So, for the Hawaiian A330, daily flight, arrives at the crack of dawn, scheduled for 6:00am arrival, usually 6:15 to 6:30am unless late (it has been as late as 11:00am as a witness) and departs at 10:00am fairly on time.

The Singapore 026 is currently the first or second A380 of the day competing with Korean 081 for the honor on a daily basis ... It arrives around 10:00am most days give or take 20 minutes... pretty punctual. However SIA 25 departs late and usually under darkness. If super on-time, it can be had in civil twilight... but, YMMV

For the foreign heavies rush in the afternoon, you are pretty much hostage. Just sit tight by the active RWY and they are like shooting fish in a barrel. 2:00pm to 6:30pm is the best time for Eastern arrivals.

As for the UN week, find the day of the general assembly with the most important speech and subtract 7 days and that would be my best bet on the most and best traffic :-)

Last year, Mahmoud Abbas spoke on the 23rd and indeed the weekend prior was full of terrific surprises! HEre are some of my captures from that week prior to the speech!

http://bit.ly/LZYmGs

This year, the UNGA is officially from 18th September to 23rd December so I would bet the weeks of the 9th to the 23rd and especially 9/15-18 to be the best bet if you were to come.
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-07-15 at 09:42 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Thanks Manny

I've been down to JFK 3 times and have been unfortunate to have mainly 13L arrivals with 4/22s thrown in. I've been at 22L (Mounds) when there was a lot of stuff I wanted coming in 13L. I go to 13L and stuff I need come in 22L. Can't win. Thanks for the info about UN week. I'll probably shoot for the 15th or the 22nd. Would love to have 31s for a change!!! Maybe see ya out, Kelli

Ugh, yea the split is a pain. No spotter wins when they do that.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Now the question is... Is Manny Gee going to Oceana to see the best Military Air Show in USA... 9.14-16.2012....
    Living The Dream...

Chris, I will be at Oceana for sure!! Already got my Media Access confirmation
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by B77WYYZ View Post
    Thanks Manny

I've been down to JFK 3 times and have been unfortunate to have mainly 13L arrivals with 4/22s thrown in. I've been at 22L (Mounds) when there was a lot of stuff I wanted coming in 13L. I go to 13L and stuff I need come in 22L. Can't win. Thanks for the info about UN week. I'll probably shoot for the 15th or the 22nd. Would love to have 31s for a change!!! Maybe see ya out, Kelli
    Kelli,

The 13/22 split is fairly predictable. While they do have 13/22 split or 4L/R arrivals with 31L departures, never seen 13/4 split, wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway, we can fairly predict the traffic that will be on any one runway given the particular spl1t in use. For example, on a 13/22 split, the Eastern and European arrivals will usually be on 22 while southern / western and northern/over the pole flights will come into 13.

You do not want 31s if you want your sanity... hard to relocate quickly and then they put random traffic on either some times. At least on 22s, if you really want a 22 arrival, it is a quick drive in your car to catch it ... As long as you tag along with one of us, you should be able to get whatever you want.

If not, bring your scanner (or use your iPhone or Android with LiveATC app or via the web via MP3 streaming) and listen to CAMRN and ROBER approach procedures. They will give the planes their vectors for whatever rwy they are scheduled for. Typically pilots will ask for a change of RWY here. If not, they will then ask again for a switch on either Final Approach (only used during busy hours) or worse, tower. When a plane calls tower, they are typically 10 to 5 miles from the DME and you will not have time to relocate. From the CAMRN or ROBER check in, you have 20 minutes, give or take a few, before they reach the airport.
    Manny Gonzalez

Well Hello Kelli

Nice to see you on our forum again, I guess you only apear on here when YOU need some help from us. Now I see how it works.

Next time, if SOMEONE is looking for some help when they are headed to YYZ, maybe you should drop a line back, same way the NYC members jump and help you out.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY