Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A turtle???

A turtle???

Right now, 'Photographer's Choice' is a picture of a tortoise sunning itself in the Seychelles.

To me, this signals the latest in a morphing of what it seems is considered aviation photography. I could understand shots of new aircraft interiors in pristine condition, then before long it was seats full of people that looked like snapshots from vacation. I could understand the photos of shadows of aircraft along the ground, I get the 'artsy' thing. I could understand some of the shots from inside the terminals, given the obvious connection to flight, then last week there was a photo of some hallway with trees growing along the sides. I couldn't even tell it was a terminal. Picturesque, yes, but aviation related? What's next? A shot of a half-eaten Cinnabon sitting in some trash receptacle getting accepted because it's at the airport?

So now there's the turtle picture. If there was no description attached, no one would have any clue this had anything to do with aviation. Maybe a parked aircraft in the background, or something, would have been neat. I'm all for new and interesting concepts/angles/what have you, I know they can't all be side-on shots. And no, there is no 'policy and procedure manual' for aviation photography that dictates right and wrong.

We have discussed the 'motive' rejections here before, and I wanted to know if anyone else feels this way or if I'm 'misinformed'. Since it made Photographer's Choice, must be me I guess(plus, that horizon's totally not level lol)

What a joke...they will accept that, and reject Cary's "yellow-tint's." Guess with all the screening they do they've never seen an aircraft fly at sunrise or sunset.

I must say, I jokingly voted it for Pand just like I thought it would, it did! that was hilarious. In all seriousness, the picture [does depict] a runway
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    What's next? A shot of a half-eaten Cinnabon sitting in some trash receptacle getting accepted because it's at the airport?
    Hey, don't steal my idea! :P

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    What a joke...they will accept that, and reject Cary's "yellow-tint's." Guess with all the screening they do they've never seen an aircraft fly at sunrise or sunset.
    The best part is that a head screener implied that I was bad at interpreting/processing color, after he unknowingly preferred my rejected photos 3 out of 3 times (thinking they were my new edits). They allow a huge range of color balances for different photographers shooting the same thing (just look at the Qatar 787 takeoff shots - http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...131471,2131594), and then reject me for "slight color casts". Anywho, sorry for threadjacking...let's talk tortoise!
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Who would have thought it? I know where we're all going to be the next time turtles cross the runway at JFK.

Of course, this photo of G-MOO will always be the classic A.net acceptance...I believe it made Photographers Choice before being removed.

Moose, that was what started the "artistic" category of photos.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Who would have thought it? I know where we're all going to be the next time turtles cross the runway at JFK.
    Of course, this photo of G-MOO will always be the classic A.net acceptance...I believe it made Photographers Choice before being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post

Geez are you serious? I guess I was out of town that week or something because I never saw that.

In conclusion, if I want to look at shots such as these I will pick up a copy of National Geographic. 'Wings of the web' my a**

The cow photo happened back in 2007, and led to quite a spirited discussion on their photo forum.

Obligatory:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

What's the criteria for Photographer's Choice these days? If chosen by ratings, then it doesn't mean much and can be easily rigged (as has been proven in the past).

The photo is interesting in that is reflects an empty grass runway and an obstacle that pilots must sometimes deal with, but to me, not much more.

Screener's Choice would be more frustrating if this was the result, because then someone "in authority" is saying it's an artistic work.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    What's the criteria for Photographer's Choice these days? If chosen by ratings, then it doesn't mean much and can be easily rigged (as has been proven in the past).
    If you have a photographer's account, you can vote on it. Maybe all of this photog's friends decided to vote for his off-centered, back-lit, green-tinted, turtle...

That has happened, several times. Sometimes with intent to toy with the system.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Maybe Pete can chime in as he lurks around here from time to time :-) Pete care to comment how the PC works?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    PC is very easily manipulated. It's been discussed ad nauseam on anet. It's a shame but not much that can be done about it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Maybe Pete can chime in as he lurks around here from time to time :-) Pete care to comment how the PC works?
    Hey Manny - happened to be lurking today and saw your post.

Photographer's Choice is by photographer votes, there is some threshold that has to be achieved in terms of numbers of votes before an image is "officially" made PC.

Yes, it has been subject to manipulation in the past.

As for the tortoise.... not my cup of tea, too much emphasis on the tortoise with a runway in the background.