Thread: Using Passur freezes my PC at times

Using Passur freezes my PC at times

I have been using Passur for years; it is not always working but now it freezes my PC at times. My friend departed from JFK on June 30. When I attempted to see which runways were in use, Passur froze my PC. I had to go back to the IE Icon to un-freeze it. Passur finally came-back this morning, July 2. This is not a reliable site. I use the free version; hopefully the upgraded version, which has a fee, doesn't freeze. It seems that whenever I need it, it is useless. I've also yet to find a cellular that is compatible with Passur. I've tried loading Firefox into them, but still can't get the Passur aircraft arriving or departing.

I've been unable to get Passur to work for over a year now. I'm on a Mac. It stopped working after Apple updated Java for OS X 10.6.8. But subsequent Java updates haven't fixed it. I tried emailing Passur directly about this problem, but received no response. Tried it on other Macs with the same result so it's something to do with those Java updates breaking the applet.

Every once in a while, I try it again, but so far, it doesn't work, for one reason or another.

Passur is written in Java, which can be crappy and is pretty much the worst platform you can use to deploy a web application on. It's outdated and clunky. I don't know of any phones that fully implement Java , and given it's reputation and near-obselete status it probably never will be ported. Try another browser or updating Java.

Yeah, I've tried all that. No go. The closest I got to getting it going again was when it did load the applet and showed me the map. But NO planes! Passur's Help/FAQ says that is due to pop-up blockers interfering. Never had an issue like this when it was working. Well, I turned that off, and still no planes. Not sure who is to blame - Apple or Passur. Regardless, it sure doesn't look like it's going to be fixed any time soon.

Passur is working correctly on all of my PCs. This sounds like a java issue.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

I've had lots of problems with viewing the planes on Passur. Most times, it works OK, but sometimes days go by with no signal. On my laptop with Windows 7, I usually have no problem with Java. On my 2 older PC's, which use Windows XP, one could not load the Java applets while the other could. Both PC's froze at times and had to be re-booted. I have yet to get Passur correctly loaded on any smartphone; especially iPhones which cannot load Java. My question is maybe there is an alternative to Passur where we could watch movements of aircraft. It is so useful especially when seeing an aircraft I can't identify. Unfortunately, military aircraft, such as Air Force 1 are not shown for security reasons I guess although the info is delayed up to 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    My question is maybe there is an alternative to Passur where we could watch movements of aircraft. It is so useful especially when seeing an aircraft I can't identify.

Lately I've been using PLANEFINDER.net (http://planefinder.net/?minlat=26&mi...=47&maxlon=-69) and FLIGHTRADAR24.com (http://www.flightradar24.com/). They have their own glitches, but they also seem to be almost "Realtime" when it comes to tracking.