Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tjk's "From home(ish)" Rockaway/ Belle Harbor thread (running thread)

Tjk's "From home(ish)" Rockaway/ Belle Harbor JFK thread (running thread)

Since checking out this site to follow the jones beach airshow action, I've caught the bug to keep a sharper eye on the traffic in my own neighborhood. Since it's the time of the year to spend more time outdoors in the Belle Harbor/ Rockaway/ Breezy area, I thought I'd start my own "home" thread. It'll have photos just from the Rockaways side of Jamaica Bay. If I go out to Howard Beach, to the airport itself, or to any of the "official" spots that folks shoot from, they'll be posted elsewhere. I just thought it'd be fun to see what flies on by, and maybe get to more genuinely enjoy my adopted hometown (7 years after the fact).

Anyone who shoots from the beaches et al are welcomed to add their own photos here as well. Would love to get together with some folks to shoot from the south side of the Bay sometime and to make new friends, so give a shout if you'd like to spend some time shooting over here.

-TJ

PS: thanks to Yankees for the inspiration. I was so impressed by his view of the JFK action, and had no idea I had some great traffic right in my own backyard.
    Last edited by TJK; 2012-06-29 at 03:08 PM.

I'm going to use the 640 size for my photos just to take it easy on load time from my ipad. If anyone wants to go with the 800 size, by all means, have at it.

6/27/2012

From my porch off my living room:

RSCN9122 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

RSCN9109 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

-TJ

This one is definitely going to be put up in my apartment. I love it.

RSCN9107 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr
    Last edited by TJK; 2012-06-29 at 09:41 AM.

6/28/12

The heavies and the supers were departing off of 22R.
    These were taken just east of the Cross Bay Bridge. There's a McDonalds right at the foot of the bridge as well as a few bars. There's a small rock formation you can access behind the McDonald's through a gate at the back of their lot. I've gone three times and nobody at the McDonalds has cared. Some locals fish there, but once they saw that I was just there to take photos of the planes and the sunset, they didn't really care. I'd have taken some photos of their fish, but all they caught was the smallest sea bass I've ever seen in my life.

The action for aviation junkies was much better thankfully.

RSCN9297 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

I really want their 747 with the stripes and the graphics along the upper sides, but I did like the angle on this:

RSCN9324 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

I probably should have been getting some shut eye, but the moon was too beautiful to ignore:

DSCN9333 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

-TJ

thanks for the Connie 747 !!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    thanks for the Connie 747 !!!
    No problem. I have a few others of the 747s to upload here, and may have some older ones of the cargo conversions if I can remember where I put them on my hard drive.

It's been a really fun weekend in terms of spotting. Hope you've all gotten out some. I've taken photos from my porch off my living room, from the McDonald's lot just east of the rockaway end of the Cross Bay Bridge, Aqua Hibachi, which is right on the water in broad channel, and on the back deck of The Wharf (c/o 116th and beach channel BEHIND the gas station).
    A friend was playing at the Wharf last so I had guests to show around Rockaway a little, and had my camera with me.

Some new friends from my porch:

RSCN9500 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

RSCN9512 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

RSCN9429 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

I wish the morning haze has burned off before this came by.

RSCN9349 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr
    Last edited by TJK; 2012-07-01 at 04:45 PM.

Later in the day Saturday, walking on the beach, at dinner or at our friends show at the wharf

RSCN9790 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

RSCN9535 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

Funny you mention Aqua Hibachi.....instead of making a right to the restaurant, right after the toll plaza make the first left. There is a park and ball fields. From there you can shoot 22R departures but you will need at a lens that has at least 30m reach on a cropped sensor body. The ideal time would be in the later afternoon once the sun has crossed over. Shooting from the Cross Bay bridge would probably be even better. I was at that park today. I will try to post some of those shots here.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Funny you mention Aqua Hibachi.....instead of making a right to the restaurant, right after the toll plaza make the first left. There is a park and ball fields. From there you can shoot 22R departures but you will need at a lens that has at least 30m reach on a cropped sensor body. The ideal time would be in the later afternoon once the sun has crossed over. Shooting from the Cross Bay bridge would probably be even better. I was at that park today. I will try to post some of those shots here.
    That's funny. I was thinking that park had potential. Then I thought, but if I went to hibachi or the place next to it I could eat, have a beverage and shoot from slightly closer.

Some from the wharf, including another 747 cargo.

RSCN9783 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

RSCN9779 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

DSCN9695 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

That Skyline shot is real nice!

You still shooting with that 18-55? One of the 70-300mm zooms should suit you nicely

And I know how you feel, I love sitting on my back deck and watching the 27R arrivals into PHL- pure heaven

TJ....here are a couple of shots from that park. You'll need a lens that has at least 300mm to 400mm reach (400mm would be better), the small stuff (like the 737s, A320 is okay). The afternoon light during the summer at this location seems to be very nice for 22R departures (not sure if it would be a good location for winter light). These were taken with my 80-400mm lens. After parking the car, I walked out towards the water (there are a few paths there).

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I can't get into SCYs 700s! Yuck
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    That Skyline shot is real nice!

You still shooting with that 18-55? One of the 70-300mm zooms should suit you nicely

And I know how you feel, I love sitting on my back deck and watching the 27R arrivals into PHL- pure heaven
    I borrowed my Mom's NikonP90 a week or so ago to take some photos to get some 8x10s and to make a couple of mosaics of photos to put around my apartment. I think it's the equivalent of about a 400 or almost so, albeit not as sharp. I'm looking at a few 300 lenses though for the Nikon D40. I'll let you all know which one I roll with.

I want to get down to PHL, BWI, Reagan, and up to BOS.
    Last edited by TJK; 2012-07-02 at 02:49 AM.