Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tjk's "From home(ish)" Rockaway/ Belle Harbor thread (running thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    TJ....here are a couple of shots from that park. You'll need a lens that has at least 300mm to 400mm reach (400mm would be better), the small stuff (like the 737s, A320 is okay). The afternoon light during the summer at this location seems to be very nice for 22R departures (not sure if it would be a good location for winter light). These were taken with my 80-400mm lens. After parking the car, I walked out towards the water (there are a few paths there).

Those are fantastic, mark! I may have to check that spot out after all. I unfortunately work in midtown and tend to not get home until the light has REALLY faded (hence all the sunset shots on this thread). It may have to wait until next weekend, although maybe I can stick my head out there on the 4th. Thank for the tip!

And because I was a real good boy all week, the airplane God hooked me up with some arrivals from the southwest onto the 4s finally. It seems like it had been forever since I'd gotten any of those.

RSCN9827 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

RSCN9829 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

RSCN9831 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

I haven't gotten any arrivals in what feels like forever. So happy to have gotten a few.
    Have a great week. I may get out to the spot Mark mentioned on the 4th, but I think we may be meeting some friends down on the beach. Enjoy it, whatever you all end up doing and wherever you end up shooting from.
    -TJ

Happy 4th of July!

Snotty weather so my plans are either cancelled or on hold. Let me know if anyone's going spotting by JFK. I may try to swing by a spot or two. I'm not sure a Rockaways day will cut it with the available light.

Happy 4th.

Before we get into the new ones from my actual neighborhood, one from not too far from my girlfriend's place.
    Commuter plane banks around Trump Building in New Rochelle.

7/2/12 New Rochelle, NY by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

4th of July in the Rockaways:

It started as a hazy, rainy mess:

RSCN0050 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

By the time it burned off and got beautiful so I could hit the beach, the planes were out as well, although the intense sun and the fact that I was only half paying attention made for some mostly underwhelming results...and of course with one thus far elusive subject (egyptair) being caught just within reach of my camera's longest setting...I'll get a decent photo of that airplane one way or another...

RSCN0032 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

RSCN0024 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

Damn you, Egyptair, with your awesome livery design...

RSCN0014 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

-TJ

Yeah.........that Egyptair has one of the sweetest schemes.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Yeah.........that Egyptair has one of the sweetest schemes.
    She unfortunately always seems to depart about 20 minutes to a half hour earlier than I can get home on weekdays. I'm going to have to keep a sharper watch for her on the weekends.

7/6/12

Runway 4R arrivals in the morning: Fed Ex, a Cargolux I hadn't seen before, and a nice mix of others including a fun ABX angle with the gear coming down. Nice way to start the day before work. Enjoy!
    -TJ

RSCN0147 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

RSCN0115 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

RSCN0070 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

RSCN0091 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

7/7/12
    These were all from the porch, as I had a family event to get to and didn't have time to move around to find spots to shoot from. The haze and light were brutal. Lufthansa Cargo I've never seen before, ANA 777, a TAM shot almost directly overhead, where the haze can't hurt ya, and a few others. All 31L departures. Have a great day.
    -TJ

RSCN7797 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

RSCN7840 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

RSCN7789 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

South African A340

RSCN7827 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

Sweet looking banner tug; screw you heat haze!

RSCN7822 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

One undated one from my porch and a few 13L arrivals taken from Floyd Bennett on 8/26. I was there to watch some family members run in the color run.

Undated 31L Departure by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

8/26/12 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

8/26/12 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

Admittedly only the first is actually from the Rockaways, but two photos from Floyd Bennett didn't seem worth starting a new thread over. Have a great day!

Great shots all around, really love that Virgin 744 with the moon!

Thanks, man. I had the virgin/moon shot Printed up for my apartment. Have a few to upload later tonight, albeit nothing to get jazzed over.

Some new ones from this Labor day wkend, specifically Saturday and Sunday. I went to LGA Monday.

RSCN9073 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

RSCN9071 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

A b&w photo. Never using that setting again after I missed getting a color photo of the Finn Air I've been waiting to photograph.

RSCN9010 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

Had a ton of stuff to do this weekend, but got some early photos in Howard Beach I'll put on a sep thread. But I did get these 4R arrivals this morning from my porch. It was a Triple 7 fest! Thankfully I really do like the Triple.

ANA Triple 7, 9/16/12, JFK 4R Arr by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

JAL Triple 7, JFK 4R Arr 9/16/12 by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

Emirates Triple 7, 9/16/12, JFK 4R Arr by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

And an Air France Airbus to break the streak...but she did look nice at the angle I got her from, although she was a little hazed by the heat off the roofs I shot over:

AirFrance A332, 9/16/12 JFK 4R Arr by Teejsjulaw4, on Flickr

I have some 31L departures from during the week to post, but I got a little sloppy with recording which ones I got from which days, etc. I may just upload them together.

I haven't added to this in a LONG while.

Stayed home, ostensibly to clean my apartment yesterday (4/27)....and then I realized there'd be some good shots of water vapor forming on some wings. Then to make matters worse, JFK switched to 4R arrivals. By worse, I mean better. Needless to say I still need to spend some time cleaning my apartment after having so many airborne distractions.