Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthcare Stance

Healthcare Stance

Most of my thoughts about today's Supreme Court decision aren't about the law itself, but how people respond to it.

Many Republicans say that they are moving to Canada...ironic because they have universal healthcare there.

Romney is against it...yet it is what his exact idea was, that he successfully instituted in Massachusetts. But now because a Democrat did it nationally, it's bad.

The politics are painful to me. I know that if the Repubs came up with it, that the Dems would be acting the same way.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    The politics are painful to me. I know that if the Repubs came up with it, that the Dems would be acting the same way.
    Amen!!!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Program Coordinator
    I welcome the outcome as a valuable step toward inevitably having a single-payer system, but I haven't read through the decision yet. Early indications that the majority hung their hat on the penalty being construed as a tax that can therefore be levied and regulated by Congress were definitely interesting - especially since I found the argument that Congress has a compelling interest in regulating this particular variety of commerce due to the obvious interconnectedness of people in terms of health and effecting one anothers health outcomes to be compelling in itself.

The spin and politics of it are ridiculous - it has successfully clouded legit and objective ability to critique the merits & faults of the legislation itself.

I just want Mom and Dad to be able to go to the doctor without fear of who they will pay for it (so they don't now)

In my country of origin, they (and I) never worried about getting healthcare. Once you have something you take for granted suddenly taken away, it feels awful. Our quality of healthcare in the US is second to none, but it is out of reach for many. I don't mean emergency care, but preventive care.

Politics are what make this country THIS COUNTRY. So I will not argue pro or against. We have to take it however it comes. Sometimes we get what we want, sometimes the other guy gets it. And we get to vote. Not many places in this blue sphere you can claim that every four years, we peacefully get to chose our leader and transition of power is typically a boring affair for most citizens. When was the last time you feared riots because of a presidential election?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    I welcome the outcome as a valuable step toward inevitably having a single-payer system,

Who is the payer, exactly? The governement? I'm not following.

In any event, all politics aside, piece by piece our freedoms are being stripped away. It is now law that I pay for healthcare? Really? Will it soon be law that I have solar panels? That I eat apples once a week? Where does it end??
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    In any event, all politics aside, piece by piece our freedoms are being stripped away. It is now law that I pay for healthcare? Really?
    Currently, if you opt out of health insurance, and get sick or injured and can't pay for your treatment, I end up paying for it, either through higher insurance premiums or higher taxes if you go to a public hospital. Don't want health insurance? Either have enough in a health savings account to cover your care, or wear one of those medic-alert tags, so if you get hit by a bus, the paramedics will leave you on the side of the road to die, because without insurance, I get stuck paying for your treatment...

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    piece by piece our freedoms are being stripped away. It is now law that I pay for healthcare? Really? Will it soon be law that I have solar panels? That I eat apples once a week? Where does it end??
    totally agree with that, government is getting bigger and more intrusive every day. The solution to most of our problems is to reduce the role of government, not increase it.

There's nothing affordable about the "affordable healthcare act", the law in its current state is just going to result in higher premiums, lower quality of care, and more unsustainable debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattimus View Post
    There's nothing affordable about the "affordable healthcare act", the law in its current state is just going to result in higher premiums, lower quality of care, and more unsustainable debt.
    Health insurance companies were well on their way to doing that already...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Don't want health insurance? Either have enough in a health savings account to cover your care, or wear one of those medic-alert tags, so if you get hit by a bus, the paramedics will leave you on the side of the road to die, because without insurance, I get stuck paying for your treatment...
    john, both before and after Bamacare, you and I get stuck paying for that treatment. Its just that now, we've entitled an even larger segment of hte population to do it. That already happens everyday I see a medicaid patient on welfare, but who drove themselves to the office in a BMW and has an iPhone....
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Mario,

What would you offer as an alternative solution to the problem that too many in the middle (not so poor, not so rich) are without any form of access to preventive care? Or that are afraid of even emergency care for fear of the costs?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny outlines a huge part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Mario,

A---What would you offer as an alternative solution to the problem that too many in the middle (not so poor, not so rich) are without any form of access to preventive care?

B----Or that are afraid of even emergency care for fear of the costs?

A.....First, you have to define terms: What falls under the umbrella of preventative care? And what does it cost yearly?

B.....discounts. At the end of the day, its a business. If we have a truly indigent patient come to our office for emergent medical eyecare, shouldnt we be allowed to work it out with them?

Not saying there wasnt a problem, but is this the clear answer? having been the uninsured student and now the doctor, I see both sides.

If I recall correctly, we never actually elected Dubya. How did we end up with a voting system in which the person with the majority of the POPULAR vote(you and me) ended up not being president? We have the electoral college system to thank for that. And then we had to suffer the ramifications of that ROYAL screw-up for 4 more years. So, I have lost faith that my government 'represents' my interests.

No Manny, I do not want to move to Canada, or Europe. Like you I believe our quality of life is best here. But, when you look at something like, say, campaign financing and see the direct lines between corporate/elitist donors and their 'puppets', or that idiot Grover Norquist and his little 'list' he is blackmailing people with, you can understand where I'm coming from. In this country now, the deeper your pockets, the less disenfranchised you are.

Phil I know you were asking specifically about the healthcare decision, but I feel these are connected issues.

My initial point was that, regardless of the details of the plan, the arguments laid out have little to do with the details, and 100% to do with political bickering.

I think the decision all but guarantees a Mitt Romney victory in November. Republicans are already more enraged than ever. Democrats will become complacent thinking they have it in the bag.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9