Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over-use of Rwy 22L at JFK

"Overnight" is the operable word there. You've been complaining and tweeting when they use them for afternoon flights. During the day, it is much preferred.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    All the articles I've ever read about the situation claim that the 22 configuration is "last resort."

"An agreement that dates to 2000 details a noise-abatement plan between a community group and the FAA and the Port Authority, which operates Kennedy Airport. Under the plan, Runway 22L should be used only as a last resort during overnight hours."

Ok, so they refer to it as last resort during overnight hours. I was a little off.
    A little off?
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Yesterday I was on Rt 135 SB and the first round of TStorms was moving out to the East and what do I see but the headlights of a 22 arrival against the dark clouds!! Looked very cool!!

I remember seeing articles in the past about a change in the flight patterns for NYC Airports. This is probably what they meant. I notice the 22s being used a lot more, but I do still tend to see quite a bit of arrivals on the 31s or departures on the 13s. I live in Oceanside so a 13 departure or a 31 arrival means they fly right over my house. I still see that quite often.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    "Overnight" is the operable word there. You've been complaining and tweeting when they use them for afternoon flights. During the day, it is much preferred.
    Oh yea, that's just because I didn't understand the whole 4:30pm switch no matter what configuration. I had no idea using 22s gave that much extra capacity.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Oh yea, that's just because I didn't understand the whole 4:30pm switch no matter what configuration. I had no idea using 22s gave that much extra capacity.
    Well if you think about it if they stay on the 31's they can only land two runways and depart one. When on 22s they can utilize 3 runways. Landing on two(22L/22R) and departing on two(22R/31LKE)
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Yea, it makes sense to me now.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

I stand by my statement that the 22's are over-used. I understand the need for the 3 runway usage at 1700 daily to cut-down on departure delays but why use the 22's in the middle-of-the-night if the other runways are open? 22L is called the runway of "Last Resort" simply because of its shorter length. The Bay Runways (31s,13's) were intended for the most usage as they are longer and are adjacent to Jamaica Bay I used to listen to the Controller when Concordes were deparing and they almost always asked to depart from 31L. I do recall a rare departure off of Rwy 4L as well as from Rwy 31R when 31L was closed. Rwy 13R Concorde departures were not too rare however. In previous bdecades, wind direction dictated runway use but nowadays wind is of lttle consideration unless gusting to a large degree.

I'm still wondering the source of this "last resort" label for 22L.

To me, that runway is not used enough.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The switch at 4:30 is simple. It's response to traffic demand vs airspace and airfield capacity. As Phil said, not sure where the term last resort is coming from with reference to 22L arrivals

The runway length is perfectly acceptable for practically all types that typically use JFK under most cirumstances. The term overuse is not warranted.