Thread: 6-20-2012 JFK Howard Beach and Rockaways - Image heavy-ish

6-20-2012 JFK Howard Beach and Rockaways - Image heavy-ish

Looks like most of the action for better or for worse was off of the 22s today. Took a few photos at Howard Beach in the morning; it was a complete hazy mess.

CSC_0755 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

Took one or two more waiting for the express bus from Howard Beach into midtown.

Tonight was all or mostly arrivals and departures on the 22s, which meant I couldnt try any Canarsie approach spots. The photos were slightly better although by the time I got home the light was fading fast. Took them from the McDonald's right under/next to the Cross Bay Bridge. I REALLY need a lense with some more reach; this 18/55 nonsense is absurd and embarassing. But it was a nice relaxing way to end the day, and a beautiful Rockaways sunset.
    -TJ

CSC_0914 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

CSC_0905 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

CSC_0902 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

CSC_0901 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

DSC_0774 by teejsjulaw, on Flickr

Looks like you got a few specials.............I debated whether or not to head out last night for a few hours but the heat got the better part of me. Not sure what camera body you are shooting with, but Nikon has a 70-300mm lens (this is priced around $590) and just recently came out with a 18-300mm (I think the price on this lens is around $1,000). Canon also has a 70-300mm for around $550.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Take a look at this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300m...=tamron+70-300

Despite the "cheap" price tag, it's a sharp and fantastic lens. I've used it for about 2 years and have 200+ shots up on JP.net with it.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll take a look at all of them. The camera body is a Nikon D40. not being a legitimate photographer, I enjoy the mostly point and shoot feel of it. It also shoots faster than the coolpix P90 that I've used; the speed would be good for the airshow, but the lack of a decent zoom on it really only made the shots I took with it useful in formation flying photos. It was pretty decent for the landings at FRG on airshow Sunday. A buddy of mine suggested trying renting first.

http://www.adoramarentals.com/

I may try that just to get the feel for using a 200 or 300; if I like it, maybe I'll take the plunge.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Looks like you got a few specials.............I debated whether or not to head out last night for a few hours but the heat got the better part of me. Not sure what camera body you are shooting with, but Nikon has a 70-300mm lens (this is priced around $590) and just recently came out with a 18-300mm (I think the price on this lens is around $1,000). Canon also has a 70-300mm for around $550.
    I don't blame you for not bothering; if it wasn't already sunset I wouldn't have done so. I'm sitting out the rest of this heat wave for certain.

I was head out yesterday, the special one was Dreamlifter took off from 31L

Quote Originally Posted by En11RVC View Post
    I was head out yesterday, the special one was Dreamlifter took off from 31L
    Congrats! Photos? Damn, I'd have loved to see it flying.

Last edited by TJK; 2012-06-22 at 07:28 AM.

The 70-300 is a little better than the 55-200 but in the end both are not that great. The suffer from CA and are genrally soft, especially at the long end. These were really designed for family photos of a baseball game or similar and general photography. Don;t expect much quality... if that's ok, then I would go with the 70-300 for our hobby as it is a bit more flexible.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS