Thread: 6/16/12 "South Fields" NYPD Encounter

Thumbs up 6/16/12 "South Fields" NYPD Encounter

Eric and I were at "South Fields" for a few hours today for 13L arrivals. It's a nice soccer field on the north side of the belt, just southeast of Aqueduct. Quite different than anything we have done before.
    A few hours in, an NYPD car rolls onto the soccer field up to us and the officer says "you guys taking pictures of the planes?"
    "Yup. Plane spotting"
    "Whats plane spotting?"
    "Taking pictures of planes."
    "Ok. Do what you gotta to do."

End of encounter.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Eric and I were at "South Fields" for a few hours today for 13L arrivals. It's a nice soccer field on the north side of the belt, just southeast of Aqueduct. Quite different than anything we have done before.
    A few hours in, an NYPD car rolls onto the soccer field up to us and the officer says "you guys taking pictures of the planes?"
    "Yup. Plane spotting"
    "Whats plane spotting?"
    "Taking pictures of planes."
    "Ok. Do what you gotta to do."

End of encounter.
    You forgot to mention that the police were called by somebody to check us out.

Also on my way home I drove the through the airport and saw two guys standing on the overpass by 13L(across from jetblue hanger) they were taking pictures and waving to planes as they went by. Was kinda surprised to see that. I'm sure somebody came along to talk with these guys
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

I know of that park but figured the aircraft would be passing overhead mostly for belly shots. It amazes me what a difference in peoples attitudes when it comes to taking photos of aircraft here on the west coast at LAX. It doesn't phase them!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    I know of that park but figured the aircraft would be passing overhead mostly for belly shots. It amazes me what a difference in peoples attitudes when it comes to taking photos of aircraft here on the west coast at LAX. It doesn't phase them!
    This spot has potential. till about mid afternoon its good right now, I think it will be better when the sun is a little to the south later in the year. Also if they are on 13's in morning you can get some nice head on engine shots. As you can see from the shots we got, planes tend to be all over the approach belly shots, banking shots, 3/4 shots. I liked it.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    I loved that at LAS too. First time I shot when they were on the 1s on top of the garage security drove by and waved. It was refreshing.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    This spot has potential. till about mid afternoon its good right now, I think it will be better when the sun is a little to the south later in the year. Also if they are on 13's in morning you can get some nice head on engine shots. As you can see from the shots we got, planes tend to be all over the approach belly shots, banking shots, 3/4 shots. I liked it.
    I have to check that one out. I also discovered, but didn't have time to break out the camera b/c I was running late for something, that my own beach area in Rockaway Park isn't bad if they're coming in on the 4s. A bunch of flights were being vectored in to 4R Saturday morning, and over near the Cross Bay Bridge they were definitely low enough to make for some decent photos. That would put them around Beach 95-100th Streets (rough guesstimate). I live west, past Beach 116th, but I may take a beach day at some point down in that area just to see how the photos come out. This new spot of yours sounds good though!