Thread: Shadow in photos

Question Shadow in photos

I brought my Panasonic Lumix pocket camera to Coney last week for the Space Shuttle. Since then, I notice some photos taken using the built-in zoom lens show a distinct shadow on the upper-left. It is not seen in photos in the telephoto position but only in photos using wide angle. Did sand get into the camera? To repair would cost more than a replacement. I tried shaking to possibly loosen the sand particle. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get inside the lens which is a Leica Vario 3.3-4.9 Aspheric. Any suggestions? It's not a terrific camera but it has no defects. Thanks.

Had a similar issue with a Sony p&s that I have. I came to the same conclusion, repair would cost more than replacement.

I eventually did replace it. I was going to try and disassemble it myself some time later only to find that the dirt had somehow dislodged itself. I still own and use the camera. No advice for you here - just saying that there's no easy fix for dirt in a sealed lense.

Thanks. I am also hoping the sand or whatever is stuck will dislodge itself eventually. Otherwise, it works great. My first pocket camera, a Canon, got wet and after that, the zoom broke; no zooming. My second camera fell into a pond after I tripped and a water droplet got lodged inside 1 of the lenses, so now my third camera got screwed-up. This is the major reason I only buy cameras under $200. Years ago, I had a Canon AE-1, dirt got stuck in a $300 telephoto zoom lens as well. I guess the pros know how to open-up these long lenses and cloean internally.