Thread: Shutter Speed and Helicopter Rotor

Shutter Speed and Helicopter Rotor

Quick technical question--what would be the fastest shutter speed I could use while still blurring the rotor of an S-76? Someone here told me once before but I can't seem to find the post in question.

Thanks!

How much blur? A little or full prop blur?

For a little, 1/160th or less will blur the tips. For full prop blur of an s-76 at take-off you may have to go to 1/15th sec since it is a four bladed main and tail rotor. With a 5 bladed rotor you may get it at 1/25th sec but that would be cutting it close.

Also depends on the situation.. will the helo be on the ground sitting still or will it be in the air?

My jetPhotos pics have ExIF data intact. I don;t usually record the exposure on A.net remarks field but feel free to ask...

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...rch=HELICOPTER

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Hi Manny,

This is the effect I'm looking for. The helicopter will either be landing or on the ground when I get the shot.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Brist...76C/2032841/L/

I'm hoping I can pull it off without an IS lens...

I think 1/60-1/125 for such an shot!

Thats a shot from me at 1/60!

Yup, I was going to say 1/50th of a sec. At landing or takeoff, you would get the fastest blade rotor rotation so as to make for a better chance at a fuller prop blur. If you can, also try to bracket your shots. and for goodness sake, BRACE yourself well... nothing worse than getting a great prop blur only to have the fuselage blurred too :-(

Pan with the craft as well as you can. Lock one of your focus sensors on one spot on the bird and track it like it is a Victoria's Secret Angel in lingerie
    Manny Gonzalez

and track it like it is a Victoria's Secret Angel in lingerie
    Manny - I want to that shot! Didn't happen unless there are photos to prove it!

-Tad Carlson

Wish such low shutter speeds you might need to go to a low ISO setting and stop down the f-number so you don't blow out the highlights

Quote Originally Posted by pugetexposure View Post
    Wish such low shutter speeds you might need to go to a low ISO setting and stop down the f-number so you don't blow out the highlights
    Correct! It is assumed you know basic photography, otherwise, the lesson needs to be about EV and such To be even more precise, you MAY have to use ND filters. I have to use them at Car Racing events when shooting in the middle of the day on sunny conditions. The brightness of the track can be high enough that there is no way to cut the sensitivity of the sensor nor stop down far enough to get a good exposure at 1/15th sec. It all has to do with the end result you're after and what your camera and gear can do at the moment. You may not have an ND filter so you may have to compromise some times.

I usually have two banks set up on my camera for Airshows. This lets me quickly change my settings without too much fiddling:

--Jets
    --Prop/Helos

The settings are pre-programmed accordingly.

For the Props and Helos, the ISO is set to 50 on the D800 and to 100 on the D3. Aperture Priority on Jets, Shutter Pri on Helos/Props.

While shooting Props or Helos, I dial in 1/320 to 1/500 sec depending on the type of prop and anywhere from 1/15 to 1/60 sec for helos depending on the craft, blade count and desired effect. I also bracket a lot during a session or pass. At Rotorfest, you get a lot of opportunities to get it right because they fly all day long. If you're daring, keep your finger on the dial of your camera that changes the shutter speed and continually bracket as you shoot bursts of 3 or 4 shots.

This past weekend at RI Airshow, I shot about 1,000 or so pictures of the various prop/helos and came away with about 2 or 3 semi-acceptable shots so don;t feel bad if they don't come out right all the time. If you get just one good prop blur one to your liking, it will make your day!
    Manny Gonzalez