Thread: Mars Colonization in Ten Years?

Mars Colonization in Ten Years?

This was posted by space.com, I believe. Would be awesome if we could actually start this so soon...

2023? Sounds 20 years too early, but what do I know

And I would never go there if I couldn't come back home if I wanted to

It's unlikely that we will land a man on mars by then, nevermind start building a colony there.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

at this rate, I hope we land a man on Mars in our lifetimes. I wasent born for the moon landing in '69 and would love to see something of this magnitude before I kick the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    at this rate, I hope we land a man on Mars in our lifetimes. I wasent born for the moon landing in '69 and would love to see something of this magnitude before I kick the bucket.
    Quoted for trooth.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i really hope that this picks up the momentum needed to make it work. money alone won't be enough. the use of strictly private investment is probably the key to get over the first hurdle. i'd love to be able to do something like that, just not sure that i'd want to stay there for the rest of my life.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    i really hope that this picks up the momentum needed to make it work. money alone won't be enough. the use of strictly private investment is probably the key to get over the first hurdle. i'd love to be able to do something like that, just not sure that i'd want to stay there for the rest of my life.
    I don't know that there's any profit to be made in going to Mars, so private investment might not work. Launching satellites is profitable and mining asteroids might be profitable. But there's little financial gain to be had in paying for a mission to Mars right now, and there probably won't ever be.

The only way private money would work, I think, is if a bunch of really rich guys fronted the money knowing that they won't see it again, but for the prestige of having financed the first mission to Mars.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Speaking of Mars, Ray Bradbury passed away today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1090795