Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston gets NASA shuttle mock up to display....

Houston gets NASA shuttle mock up to display....

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-060112b.html

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-121111a.html

Come to think of it a shuttle that you can actually walk into and explore sounds pretty neat compared to a vehicle that will be on static display only. I went inside the mock up years ago when visiting Cape Canaveral and it was a fascinating experience. I know I'll be flamed for this but I actually wish the Intrepid had commissioned some sort of replica that can be explored rather than be seen only from the outside.
    Last edited by alberchico; 2012-06-04 at 08:16 PM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

But it's not even a glider
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I feel sorry for the tour guides who will be asked the same question over and over again " How many times did this shuttle fly in space", and then have to answer " well it never did quite make it into space but".......
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    Come to think of it a shuttle that you can actually walk into and explore sounds pretty neat compared to a vehicle that will be on static display only. I went inside the mock up years ago when visiting Cape Canaveral and it was a fascinating experience. I know I'll be flamed for this but I actually wish the Intrepid had commissioned some sort of replica that can be explored rather than be seen only from the outside.
    I was thinking along the same lines. Seattle is the real winner in my book, getting the actual astronaut training mockup that people will be able to walk through.

The replica Houston is getting, which used to be at the Kennedy Space Center, is neat, but not the greatest.

The two boxes on the side are the doors where you walk in. At KSC, each door was connected to a long, winding ramp that made it wheelchair accessible.

Each box is a small room which holds maybe five or six people at a time. On your left, a plexiglass wall exposing the cargo bay, a prototype Canadarm and a prototype satellite. On your right, a plexiglass-covered realistic looking cockpit. Each room is basically the same, just offering a low angle and a high angle.

And that's it. Once you're in there for about a minute, you've seen everything there is to see. You can't walk through the cargo bay, you can't sit in the cockpit. There's no buttons to push or anything to touch.
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2012-06-05 at 12:15 AM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Program Coordinator
    We'll see if Seattle makes it accessible or if they functionally restrict access to the same level

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    But it's not even a glider
    Oddly enough, we gave our shuttle that never flew a parade when it arrived.

New York...managed to break their glider already.
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-06-05 at 12:02 PM.

It's not really broken... it just got a scuff mark on it
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    It's not really broken... it just got a scuff mark on it
    All it took was a scuff mark to bring down Columbia and Challenger. <.< There is no such thing as 'just' on a space shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    All it took was a scuff mark to bring down Columbia and Challenger. <.< There is no such thing as 'just' on a space shuttle.
    Right, because when NYC launches Enterprise into space next month, the damaged wingtip will cause a disaster...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Right, because when NYC launches Enterprise into space next month, the damaged wingtip will cause a disaster...
    He's only a college student, probably does not even know what happened to Challenger.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    The point is, you don't be careless with something priceless. :p I predicted this would happen, people called me simply bitter, and low and behold, ya' rammed the wing into a bridge and damaged a priceless national artifact. It doesn't matter if it's the wingtip ripped off or the whole wing ripped off, you still. damaged. the. shuttle. :p

Anyway, the parade the replica got was pretty nice. I'm anxious to take a look on the inside.

He's only a college student, probably does not even know what happened to Challenger.
    Early morning freezing caused a crack in the SRB's O-ring, causing a flame to lick out and ignite the external fuel tank.

Some photos of arrival from JSC:

Try not to damage it, will you?

Nice shots, I like the fireworks shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's the wingtip ripped off or the whole wing ripped off, you still. damaged. the. shuttle. :p
    Indeed. Kind of like saying "It's only a little magic marker" as the authorities are frowning at the mustache on the Mona Lisa...

Quote Originally Posted by snydersnapshots View Post
    Indeed. Kind of like saying "It's only a little magic marker" as the authorities are frowning at the mustache on the Mona Lisa...
    No. Sorry, but its not really the same at all.
    "Keep 'em Flying"