Thread: British Vulcan Bomber XH558 Suffers Major Engine Failures

British Vulcan Bomber XH558 Suffers Major Engine Failures

The British built Avro Vulcan Bomber XH558 - the only flying example left - suffered two major engine failures last week.

Full story

In happier times...

Last edited by skiesandseasHD; 2012-06-04 at 06:37 AM.

Man that is a GORGEOUS aircraft, love that engine noise, thanks for posting

I hope they can fix it in time for the Olympics. From the article, it looks like they planned to use this amazing plane in some fashion

If they can;t fix for the Olympics, maybe we can loan them a pair of F-22s, a B-2 and a B-1...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    A triumph of British engineering or not, the Olympics are supposed to be a celebration of peace, and it's rather inappropriate to use the occasion to display a warplane, let alone a type that's not only nuclear-capable, but participated in offensive operations against another Olympics-participating country.

Millions in damages caused by forgotten silica bead bags left in the engines for dehumidifying purposes. Somebody really screwed up.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAppleCoder View Post
    Millions in damages caused by forgotten silica bead bags left in the engines for dehumidifying purposes. Somebody really screwed up.
    gotta agree... real downer and once again a reminder just how big a price is paid by way of ignorance or oversight.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    I hope they can fix it in time for the Olympics. From the article, it looks like they planned to use this amazing plane in some fashion
    I was under the impression that the Vulcan was supposed to be used in combination with the Concorde (had they gotten her flying in time) for the Queen's party as well as the Olympics, hope they'll be able to get her flying soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    A triumph of British engineering or not, the Olympics are supposed to be a celebration of peace, and it's rather inappropriate to use the occasion to display a warplane, let alone a type that's not only nuclear-capable, but participated in offensive operations against another Olympics-participating country.
    Though they are a celebration of peace, cooperation and athletics, it's also an immense honor to host the games, and I think displaying triumphs outside the realm of athletics is fair game, especially when we're talking about a retired warbird such as this, it's not like opening the games with a parade of SAMs or a current model bomber loaded with live nukes...

Do you think there wouldn't be any sort of military flyover if/when the games are held in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    I was under the impression that the Vulcan was supposed to be used in combination with the Concorde (had they gotten her flying in time) for the Queen's party as well as the Olympics, hope they'll be able to get her flying soon!
    There was never any plan - other than in the minds of a few die-hard fans - to get the Concorde flying again for the Queen's celebration, the Olympics, or anything else.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    Do you think there wouldn't be any sort of military flyover if/when the games are held in the USA?
    No. I can find no reference to a flyover during any of the last 3 Opening Ceremonies to be held in North America (Vancouver 2010, Salt Lake City 2002, Atlanta 1996). The Snowbirds did a flyover for Calgary 1988, but those are trainers that do not carry weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    There was never any plan - other than in the minds of a few die-hard fans - to get the Concorde flying again for the Queen's celebration, the Olympics, or anything else.
    I guess I didn't take a large enough grain of salt with the stuff I was reading on the Save Concorde Group websites and their news coverage a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    No. I can find no reference to a flyover during any of the last 3 Opening Ceremonies to be held in North America (Vancouver 2010, Salt Lake City 2002, Atlanta 1996). The Snowbirds did a flyover for Calgary 1988, but those are trainers that do not carry weapons.
    I haven't researched it at all, but it would not surprise me if the Blues or Birds were at least considered for a flyover in past Olympic events, not exactly gray jets with live missiles and bombs aboard, but certainly capable of carrying them. The CT-114s that the Snowbirds fly are capable of carrying weapons as a light COIN aircraft, and are used as such by Malaysia, this is true for most current trainers. Opening ceremonies today seem too artsy/choreographed to work well with a flyover, but that's just my opinion and the aero geek in me would still love to see them take part.

Vulcan expected to fly at RIAT in early July!

I was gutted to hear of the incident after I finally got approval to return to Fairford next month. VTTS has overcome so many hurdles the last 7 years trying get XH558 in the air and keep her there so there is no reason why they can't navigate one more. Schedule and funds are tight, but mt fingers are crossed! Lot's of up to date info in the UKAR forum here...
    http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!