Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Full Schedule: Space Shuttle Enterprise On the Move from JFK to Intrepid

About $75

It will cost over $50 if you want to go aboard Concorde, tour the ship plus visit the Shuttle Pavilion. The Concorde Tour is a separate fee and so will the fee to see the Enterprise. Incidentally, I received an invitation several years ago to attend the Welcoming Ceremony for Concorde. When I tried to enter, I was told that I needed to pay the General Admission in order to see the ceremony. I managed to see it anyway but was humiliated for believing that I got a special invite. I realize that the Museum needs a large sum of contributions as they wish to build a permanent home for the Enterprise across 12th Ave. but why take advantage of loyal supporters?

There is confusion about where the Shuttle will be on Mon. June 4. The Intrepid site says it will be at Bayonne, NJ but other articles say she will be towed all the way over to Port Elizabeth. If true, she must be towed through the narrow Kill Van Kull and under the Bayonne Bridge west towards Port Elizabeth. If so, Staten Island would offer great viewing spots on Mon. Does anybody know where she will actually stay on Monday? Each spot is quite different. Bayonne or Pt. Elizabeth, that is the question? I'll take the ferry on Monday, weather permitting.

There is a huge parking lot near the pier where the Queen Mary 2 docks. However, it might only be opened when a cruise ship is in the dock. Go to the Port Authority website and search under ports facilities. They can help you I hope. I have no car so I must ride the bus.

Here is a picture I snapped last night
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    There is confusion about where the Shuttle will be on Mon. June 4. The Intrepid site says it will be at Bayonne, NJ but other articles say she will be towed all the way over to Port Elizabeth. If true, she must be towed through the narrow Kill Van Kull and under the Bayonne Bridge west towards Port Elizabeth. If so, Staten Island would offer great viewing spots on Mon. Does anybody know where she will actually stay on Monday? Each spot is quite different. Bayonne or Pt. Elizabeth, that is the question? I'll take the ferry on Monday, weather permitting.
    We do know it is going to Weeks Marine. For some reason, Intrepid's schedule said Weeks is in Port Elizabeth, when it is actually on the Jersey City/Bayonne border. Some people probably consider it Bayonne, which is why some articles note it as such, but it is technically in Jersey City.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    We do know it is going to Weeks Marine.
    Is that the same place they brought US 1549 after they pulled it from the Hudson?

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Is that the same place they brought US 1549 after they pulled it from the Hudson?
    Pretty sure it is. I know it's the same company, can't say for sure that it's the same spot but most likely yes. Maybe some of the same boats will be used. Tom Turner probably knows.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

So is anyone heading out? I'm thinking about starting at the Cross Bay Bridge and then maybe following it to Gil Hodges, Coney Island, etc.

GothamSpotter I plan on the same route. I wonder why if they leave at 8 am what time it will get to the Crossbay Bridge. I plan on being by the McDonalds and follow it up to the Marine Parkway bridge and settle where the ferry leaves from.

I'm thinking about heading over to SI to catch it coming through the VZ (don't think I'll be able to get out earlier) and may try to spot it over at Weeks.

So I'm guessing on Tuesday morning Battery park would be the best place to catch her passing by the statue of liberty on her way to Intrepid ?
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Not sure if it's accessible since I haven't been there in a while, but there are some nice views from Fort Wades Worth in Staten Island at the foot of the Verrazano bridge as well as a nice view of lower Manhattan. I'll will try to get to the Cross Bay Bridge. Note: High tide is at 7:43am and Low tide is about 2:17pm tomorrow (Sunday, June 3rd).

Below is some additional information

Water cannons and fireboats will be part of the Enterprise's pass by the Statue of Liberty (this should be a great shot from Governors Island!).

SUNDAY
    Pulled by a tugboat, the barge will travel along the shore of Queens and Brooklyn, passing the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge about 3:30 p.m. and Coney Island about 4:20. It should pass the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge about 5:35.
    MONDAY
    Enterprise will be parked at Weeks Marine Terminal in Jersey City, N.J., through the day, as final preparations are made.
    TUESDAY
    At 9:15 a.m., the shuttle will begin its journey through New York Harbor and up the Hudson River. It should pass the Statue of Liberty at 9:50 a.m. and the World Trade Center site at 10:40 a.m. It will complete its journey at the Intrepid museum at 11:30 a.m. A crane will lift the Enterprise onto the flight deck of the Intrepid at Pier 86 on 46th Street and 12th Avenue.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Matt I plan to get shots of it under the Hodges bridge, but, where the heck does one park around the Rockaway-side? Just on the road? If it's sunny that would be the side to shoot from at that time of the day

Weeks Marine cannot be located at Port Elizabeth as it's near Cape May,NJ. They must mean Elizabethport which is near the Dry Dock where the Intrepid was repaired. I'll ride the SI ferry on Monday and try to see where the barge is. Hopefully, the weather will hold.

Battery Park City esplanade is even better as I got a great view of the tall ships from SI and up the Hudson to Canal St. I can't see the barge at the other sites as I have no car so the Cross Bay Bridge/ Marine Pky Bridge would be difficult for me.