Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Full Schedule: Space Shuttle Enterprise On the Move from JFK to Intrepid

very cool suggestion, speedbagel, thank you. it certainly isn't like I don't want to be around the place itself

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    very cool suggestion, speedbagel, thank you. it certainly isn't like I don't want to be around the place itself
    Let me know if you succeed in finding passes. I have a feeling those passes may no longer exist or have expired though.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

In an attempt to be fair to the folks at Intrepid, I took a gander at their membership info. While a bit high for a single person, it seems like it's not TOO bad a deal. If the shuttle ends up included for members (not exactly holding my breath), it's a decent offer. They also apparently have reciprocal deals with a number of other museums, including the USS Midway museum in CA, which is a nice little angle. Admittedly, the Smithsonian is FREE for just as many priceless aviation treasures, but I did want to TRY to be fair about all the criticisms (including my own) involving Intrepid. It was the first aviation museum I ever went to, so it will always be a special place for me.

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Member...-Benefits.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by TJK View Post
    Admittedly, the Smithsonian is FREE for just as many priceless aviation treasures...
    No, it really isn't. It is owned and operated by the federal government, so you pay for it through your taxes, whether you visit or not.

If Intrepid needs high ticket costs to offset the price of the shuttle, I'm completely fine with that. Just be honest. But most museums, even the best ones in NYC, offer a free day of the week, or have the admission as a "suggested donation" for those that simply can't afford $50.

Another beef is that when I last went to the museum....I breezed through it in 30 minutes. It feels so empty to me, without a lot of things to truly look at and enjoy, with just a bunch of photos and snoozy history lessons that can't maintain interest. It was very disappointing. Why did they get rid of the giant Iwo Jima statue? They had the space for it.

They also this piece of AA11 that I felt was important...but now is gone and I don't understand why...

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Here are a couple of shots - I wasn't able to position myself well enough to get an unobstructed view though.

Last one is from the iPhone (alas, forgetful me didn't fully charge battery)

No processing other than resizing.

Be kind - as these are my first image posts EVER on an aviation site.

Also gone from the Intrepid Hangar Deck is the large Iwo Jima replica and the cockpit of an El Al 707 amongst other things too numerous to mention. The 9-11 artifacts such as the Statue decorated with notes, medals, and other memorabilia was moved to the 9-11 Preview Site on Vesey St. and it's free!
    Last edited by Speedbird1; 2012-06-09 at 10:42 AM.

I was viewing at Battery Park but I noticed 2 sailing vessels blocking my view. One sailing vessel was advertising Yorkshire. The huge sail kept covering-up the view of the Enterprise. It was from www.welcometoyorkshire.com. The other sailing boat was from Mount Gay Rum, Barbados. Did these vessels pay to sail alongside the barge or did they just join-in? If they paid a fee, who got the proceeds? These ships ruined many of my photos. Did anybody else notice these ships? Why didn't the Coast Guard chase them away or are they sponsors? Curious matter nobody else brought-up.

Intrepid had to pay NASA $28.8 million to cover the cost of transporting the Orbiter and transporting here to NYC
    I thought they just had to pay NASA an $8 million dollar fee.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Don't you remember Charles Schumer writing letters and making speeches on TV demanding that NYC get a Shuttle? Of course, it has to do with elections? Why did Texas senators make speeches demanding they get the Enterprise? They want VOTES! The background information I found on Wikipedia. Find-out why the Shuttle was forced to be positioned toward New Jersey. Like you, I was invited to an Intrepid event and got turned-away but it is still the best aerospace museum for guys like me who use public transportation and can't get to the Cradle of Aviation ( a museum which nobody hears about except on this site). And why does Jones Beach get the annual air show? They have sponsors willing to shell-out for it.

Few more ...

Cheers

Raj, your timing for the ferry was SPOT ON... lucky dog!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Raj, your timing for the ferry was SPOT ON... lucky dog!
    Yup, and the ferry was practically empty, except this one guy who rode 4 times back and forth so he can get the shot

However I did not expect the shuttle would swing over in less than 5 min, ferry ride was 8 mins tops!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Also gone from the Intrepid Hangar Deck is the large Iwo Jima replica and the cockpit of an El Al 707 amongst other things too numerous to mention. The 9-11 artifacts such as the Statue decorated with notes, medals, and other memorabilia was moved to the 9-11 Preview Site on Vesey St. and it's free!
    I could be wrong but it think the el al might be at the Cradle.

Just checked. It is.
    http://www.cradleofaviation.org/exhi...707/index.html
    Last edited by TJK; 2012-06-09 at 11:32 PM.

Quick handheld pano from HoBe (sort of) while waiting for Shuttle to start moving...

It is very wide. Best to click on it for full size and then pan in your browser...

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS