Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiocy in Spotting (Post Your Stories!)

Idiocy in Spotting (Post Your Stories!)

Hi, guys. Didn't know where to post this, but I figured this was appropriate.

I'm sure we've all seen (and maybe done) some stupid things while spotting that could have gotten us in serious trouble (Like, oh, IDK, shooting at the mounds during school hours?)

I saw something today that takes the cake, so I thought I'd make a fun thread where we could discuss things we've seen.

I was at MIA today for a bit after work (the El Dorado spot is on my way home from the work site) and met up with a couple of the locals. Parked a few spots away were a couple of young Spanish-speaking guys. The airport was quiet, and they complained of not having much to shoot. One of them decided he'd rather enjoy himself in a different way. He went into his car, and pulled out an M-16 replica BB gun! He crouched down behind the traffic barrier and started shooting at pieces of litter between him and the airport fence. The spot is in full view of the control tower and right along a street used quite a bit, especially at rush hour. None of us could believe our eyes. As we left to change locations, I felt I had to say something, but he didn't seem to see my side of it when I told him I really didn't think what he was doing was very smart. I didn't stick around to see if anyone called him in, but that kid must have very little going on inside his head to pull out a gun replica in public and crouch behind a barrier, let along at an airport.

Share your stories!!

Antonis
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Quote Originally Posted by ANITIX87 View Post
    Hi, guys. Didn't know where to post this, but I figured this was appropriate.

I'm sure we've all seen (and maybe done) some stupid things while spotting that could have gotten us in serious trouble (Like, oh, IDK, shooting at the mounds during school hours?)

I saw something today that takes the cake, so I thought I'd make a fun thread where we could discuss things we've seen.

I was at MIA today for a bit after work (the El Dorado spot is on my way home from the work site) and met up with a couple of the locals. Parked a few spots away were a couple of young Spanish-speaking guys. The airport was quiet, and they complained of not having much to shoot. One of them decided he'd rather enjoy himself in a different way. He went into his car, and pulled out an M-16 replica BB gun! He crouched down behind the traffic barrier and started shooting at pieces of litter between him and the airport fence. The spot is in full view of the control tower and right along a street used quite a bit, especially at rush hour. None of us could believe our eyes. As we left to change locations, I felt I had to say something, but he didn't seem to see my side of it when I told him I really didn't think what he was doing was very smart. I didn't stick around to see if anyone called him in, but that kid must have very little going on inside his head to pull out a gun replica in public and crouch behind a barrier, let along at an airport.

Share your stories!!

Antonis
    I'm going to take issue with your first statement, technically there is nothing wrong with spotting at the mounds during school hours. The mounds is not school property.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    I'm going to take issue with your first statement, technically there is nothing wrong with spotting at the mounds during school hours. The mounds is not school property.
    He speaks the truth. The Mounds is NYC Park property, not affiliated with the school, it just happens to be next to it.
    Back on topic, everyone here knows who takes the cake for "idiocy" in spotting. That would be me and Dennis our very first time out for AF1. Though I still believe we did nothing wrong.

My dumbest spotting move was when I slid down a hill and cut my hand open on a broken Corona bottle that led to stitches, surgery and being left with partial feeling in my right thumb.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

posted by mistake....
    Living The Dream...

Ohhh really ?? hmmmmm problem starts when someone is calling cops.... Mark remember ?? You know what I mean :)
    Living The Dream...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparypa View Post
    Ohhh really ?? hmmmmm problem starts when someone is calling cops.... Mark remember ?? You know what I mean :)
    not really, I've met with cops and TSA security there, no problems what so ever. Very friendly encounters if any.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparypa View Post
    Anyone can call the cops about anything they want, that doesn't mean what you are doing is wrong...

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I once shot a Eurofly A330 from the top of the mounds while urinating. Does that count?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

No Kenny, We expect that from you ;)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I have a picture to go with mine!

Mine came at Nellis AFB back in 2010. I had been trying to get a nice, tight, overhead bank shot from one of the SHAW F-16CJs for the entire week, with no avail. It was my last night in Vegas, and I was getting desperate. I saw the Shaw's enter the pattern, and it became clear they were going to cut inside of where I was standing. Now anyone who has shot from the Speedway is used to having to move around a bit at times.

I took off in a full sprint with my Rebel Xsi and 100-400 in my arms. About step 3, I became acutely aware that it felt like someone had shot my toe off. Limping, and feeling worse and worse with each pace, I limp-sprinted along. I ended up running the distance between my gate and the next, and then half again as much in killer pain. I got my shot, sat down, and pulled a nail that you might use to built a tree house or attach boards to a patio deck out of my big toe. Thankfully, my tetanus shot was up to date.

The killer, my father was right behind me, with his truck, the whole time trying to get me to jump in and we could have driven the whole thing...

But hey, I doubt I would have looked so cool rolling up in an F250 as I did looking like the charge of the cripple brigade.

And the shot:

I've gotten into the habit of calling myself into the police while out shooting. Often, I'll pose the call as if I'm watching a "terrorist" terrorize the airport with a camera, just to gauge the reaction by the opeartor on the other end, and determine what kind of over-zealous power-tripping visit by the po-po I'm ultimately up for.

"Come at me bro!!!"

Program Coordinator
    I've gotten into the habit of calling myself into the police while out shooting. Often, I'll pose the call as if I'm watching a "terrorist" terrorize the airport with a camera, just to gauge the reaction by the opeartor on the other end, and determine what kind of over-zealous power-tripping visit by the po-po I'm ultimately up for.
    I feel like that has the potential to backfire one of these times...

Eric, you're absolutely right. It was a joke, taking a stab at the paranoia the school officials had, not any statement meant to offend anyone. Apologies.

Antonis
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Quote Originally Posted by NickPeterman View Post
    I have a picture to go with mine!
    lol, I forgot about my picture

Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.