Thread: Any model makers in our group?

Any model makers in our group?

Do any of us build model aircraft or ships? I have been for years but had to stop when I ran out of room to display them. They are fun to build but through the years, I have lost countless landing gear, wheels and even wings. My favorite, my Harrier Jet suddenly is missing the back stabilizers (tails) and there's no way to replace these lost pieces. The Intrepid has a great temporary exhibit of ship models. On display, is a model with almost 2000 pieces. I think it's the USS Constitution. It even has threads used as wires. The detail is amazing. The exhibit will close by July.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    I make model trains. When I was a kid I used to have many models hung from my ceiling of planes, such as the Thunderbirds, the Concorde, and a 747 - PanAm, I think.

I built models for years. While I haven't worked on much lately, I am still very active in the local club here on Long Island - we just had a big show at the AAM a few weeks ago. I hope to have more time to build in the future.

I've made a few models in my time- P-51, SR-71, MiG-29, and a few model rockets(one of which is still out there somewhere in the marshlands of Oceanside after putting an engine in it that was too powerful and it blasted out of sight)

Probably the best model I ever did was a B-24 Liberator that I painted in the colors of my Dad's Liberator, "Lady Luck", using pictures he brought back from England. Unveiling it for him for Father's Day many years ago put a huge smile on his face.

I used to be into models pretty heavily, but I've backed off a lot as school and work have taken up my time. I've got everything from Carriers to airliners and muscle cars, most of which have found their way to hooks hanging from my ceiling.

My backlog of kits currently includes the USS Missouri, a Higgins Boat (Being built as a diorama with some actual Iwo Jima sand for my uncle who served there), and some large scale bombers (1/72 Buff and a massive 1/48 Bone) among others.

I've been involved with RC trucks and boats as well, my current rigs are both capable of speeds in excess of 70 MPH!

I have many models that I built when I was younger; now I lack the patience to paint the pieces and glue. Sadly, I had company stay recently and they carelessly broke some of my precious models. My Harrier Jet, for instance, is missing the rear wings and an Iberian DC-10 wing was broken. I guess to the Average Joe, who never spent days making models, these are just dust-collectors and junk.