Thread: Delta to Snatch Up AirTran’s Entire Boeing 717 Fleet

Post Delta to Snatch Up AirTran’s Entire Boeing 717 Fleet

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1624

I guess this means no 717's in SW colors.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Post Delta Air Lines to Snatch Up AirTran’s Entire Boeing 717 Fleet

NYCAviation:
    Delta Air Lines to Snatch Up AirTran’s Entire Boeing 717 Fleet

Delta Air Lines announced on Tuesday that it had reached a deal with Southwest Airlines to take delivery of all 88 Boeing 717 aircraft in the AirTran fleet should Delta's pilots ratify a new collective bargaining agreement.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Darn - and - also - for those that haven't got all the special schemes, they are going to disappear too :(
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

You are all now on notice. You have 7 months, maximum, to catch any special AirTran.

Delta's fleet is too large. I must make a competitor airline based on a greek letter called "Alpha" and base it out of the polar opposite city of Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawrence View Post
    Darn - and - also - for those that haven't got all the special schemes, they are going to disappear too :(
    We might also see the end of Comair, with the end of CRJs and likely addition of E-jets to mainline. Of course, no one will miss Comair.

What I don't understand is how Southwest is going to make up for losing almost 2/3 of the AirTran fleet.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    What I don't understand is how Southwest is going to make up for losing almost 2/3 of the AirTran fleet.
    1) Consolidation
    2) Elimination of unprofitable routes
    3) 737-800's replacing some 700's on heavy routes.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    3) 737-800's replacing some 700's on heavy routes.
    Interesting John - that they have just deferred 20+ deliveries in 2013/2014 - I think the first two are going to come more into play...
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

If I remember correctly, those 20 deferrals are on top of like 50 other deliveries in those two years. They are inheriting a lot of new capacity even with the push back. Combined with De-hubbing ATL and PHF, along with paring the fat from the TRS network, SW will probably not lose too much capacity. The swap wont be completed til 2015 it looks like.

As sad as I am to see Air Tran die (I loved that airline for years!) I'm glad the 717's will be going somewhere to be appreciated, not viewed as the ugly stepchild. As the proud son of a McDonnell Douglas employee, I'm thrilled to see the MD-95 live on!

Southwest has cut off a huge chunk of AirTran's route network. IIRC they are also closing the ATL hub and are just going to keep it as a regular sized WN destination. This is good for Delta though. With the delivery of AirTran's 717s they can start to retire the D95s without having to surge their RJ service again. Taking on the D95s allowed many cities to see Delta Mainline again which is always something I like to see.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan View Post
    Southwest has cut off a huge chunk of AirTran's route network. IIRC they are also closing the ATL hub and are just going to keep it as a regular sized WN destination. This is good for Delta though. With the delivery of AirTran's 717s they can start to retire the D95s without having to surge their RJ service again. Taking on the D95s allowed many cities to see Delta Mainline again which is always something I like to see.
    It's funny, the opposite happened to me in Michigan. When Delta & NWA merged, Lansing, MI only had service from NWA on DC9-300s. After the merger, Delta reverted back to CRJ100s. Big change.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll paint a couple 717s in the REAL widgets....couldn't hurt to dream, right?
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    It's funny, the opposite happened to me in Michigan. When Delta & NWA merged, Lansing, MI only had service from NWA on DC9-300s. After the merger, Delta reverted back to CRJ100s. Big change.
    True. Some cities did revert to all Delta Connection, but other cities such as SYR, ALB, PWM, FNT, etc. have seen a return of mainline service and other cities (DAB, MLB, etc) have gone back to mainline only.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

way to go DL!! I look back at the time when the 717s was still in production, it surprised me more that NW or DL never placed any orders, The 717 would have been a perfect fit for NW replacing the DC9s and DL replacing the 732/733s.. But great move on DL getting those ex MD95s!!
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

My father just booked his first, and probably last ever trip on AirTran on their 717s. I'm jealous I don't get to go.
    Check out this page:
    http://www.airtran.com/aircraft/new_717_jets.aspx
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.