Thread: JSOH Andrews: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

JSOH Andrews: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good: The Show, The performers, static displays

The Bad: Some people who arrive late think its there right to make there way to the front. I was sitting in the 2nd row from the fence with a Father and his sons in front of me, from time to time they wanted to get up and explore. While they were gone several people made there way up front and one woman and kid even sat in their chairs and at one point she got on her phone to invite other people down to the spot that's when I spoke up and told her that's not going to happen she gave me a look like what she was doing was perfectly fine. Some people.

The Ugly: A gentleman and his son were standing behind me for several hours enjoying the show. At one point another man showed up during one of the performances forcing his way up, he ended up leaning up and pushing this kid into the railing at which point the boy's father asked this guy about giving a little personal space, that's when things went down hill. Lot's of yelling and then it became racial, punches were thrown and both guys went to the ground. the instigator is on the ground yelling that he's being attacked, fortunately no one helped this piece of crap who i think was just looking for a fight. Did I mention no security ever showed up. After several minutes both men were once again on there feet. The Man and his son began watching the show once more, but this other guy began taunting them again. After Several minutes the Man and his son left hopefully to watch and enjoy the show from another location as for the other guy well i don't really care what happened to him.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

A fistfight at an airshow and security never shows up. Good Lord

And people wonder why they check for weapons at the gate...

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Eric,
    Other than the fighting, that seems to be the norm at airshows. We (my boys and I) always try to get at shows before the gates open so that we can secure a nice spot up front along the fence, water, or flightline. We usually don't run into an issue until the featured performers do their display. We've had people step in front of us, where they almost pushed us out of their way so that they could be in front, I'm not that little of a guy, so fortunately some strong words made them move. We also had a pair of women one time do the same thing, one of them was wearing a huge hat which blocked my sons view. After several requests to move, they wouldn't. I wasn't going to force them to move but didn't go out of my way to not hit her hat several times with my lens while panning. After about the fourth hit, they got the message and moved on. One time at the beach, I had a guy try to start a fight because he walked into a small area where my kids were playing in the sand rather than walk two feet to the right and this was during a practice show at Atlantic City with large open spaces. I've come to the conclusion that most people feel a sense of entitlement and could care less of anyone else or others personal space, which sucks as it places a negative mood on an otherwise great event.
    At McGuire last week, I tried to set up along the barriers and was told that we had to be 5 feet back, I voiced my concern about being rushed at the end and was told that they wouldn't allow anyone to do so. Of course when the T-birds performed, the soldier walked away. We only had to deal with a few people and while it wasn't that bad, we still had to deal with them. We were also tucked in a corner against a rope for the tents, people simply stretched the rope to get up front. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Eric,
    At McGuire last week, I tried to set up along the barriers and was told that we had to be 5 feet back, I voiced my concern about being rushed at the end and was told that they wouldn't allow anyone to do so. Of course when the T-birds performed, the soldier walked away. We only had to deal with a few people and while it wasn't that bad, we still had to deal with them. We were also tucked in a corner against a rope for the tents, people simply stretched the rope to get up front. Very frustrating.
    Joe, agreed at McGuire, we were also told, not only to stay back 5 feet from the barriers, but to not even TOUCH the barriers. Well, as soon as the show started, people rushed to the barriers. The guards, came by once, but did not say anything. There was even a kid (maybe 5 or 6 yrs old) who was climbing on the barrier, and nobody said a word. Needless to say, once he bigger iron started flying people pushed their way in front of us. Luckily, Tim is a bit bigger than I so we had no real issues.

I was at McGuire on Sunday, and Phil G and I found a spot up against the barrier just about the time the Golden Knights kicked things off - we were along the section where it angled away from the Thunderbirds, between them and the air boss trailer. There was a crowd against the barrier, no one ever told us to stay back from them. In fact, when I grabbed some food, I had it sitting on the barrier...

Moose,

On Saturday (McGuire), throughout the morning and up until it got too crazy for the enlisted men they had patrolling the barrier, no one was allowed to be up against it except for a quick bite. After a while, they conversed and quietly left, claiming it was just too hard to keep people away from it. Not sure what that was all about...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

No fights near me, but the people in my vicinity were a PITA as well. I left a little gap in front of me, and that was a big mistake, as 3 kids walked around me and my camera bag barrier. It wasn't a huge deal, but they kept on kicking the camera bag of the guy next to me, and he got a little irritated. Also, they kept on going from in front of me, back to their parents, then in front again. Then they left, so I moved up, but about 20 minutes later, I heard their dad tell them "now just say excuse me"...and now there were 4-5 of them who wanted to go in front. After some more time, the dad told them, "okay, let's switch so I can watch for a bit"!!!! Okay buddy - I let your kids in front because they're kids, but you're a grown-a** adult. Every time he looked back, I gave him my best angry Manny impersonation, and he eventually he went back after 5 minutes. Another kid made his way in front of the guy next to me and was bouncing around and stepping on his camera bag -- he got fed up and told the kid and his dad something to the effect of "no way....no!". The kid retreated for a full 3 minutes, then returned, while his dad stuck his arm out with camera in hand right next to my neighbor. I needed a drink, and asked Enxian to watch my bag, and as I figured, some new guy was standing right at my bag when I returned. I said excuse me, and he didn't want to move, so I deliberately went into my bag to get him out of the way. He asked "oh, are you guys together?" and I said yes, and he moved to the other side of Enxian, but told us we needed to move closer together. Thanks for suddenly showing up and becoming the barricade police. Good times. I've only been to less than 10 airshows, but I don't remember the other crowds being half as annoying as this one was.
    Last edited by Cary; 2012-05-21 at 07:08 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

My worst thing I had happen once was I put my camera on the ground on the lens hood of the 100-400, some stupid kinds thought it was a jumping pole and the first one decided to hop over it, I quickly got a look on my face like I'm about to kill you if you do it and the second kid didn't jump, I have never been so close to killing a kid before if he had actually not cleared my camera on his jump.

The Parents, no where to be found :-/
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    He asked "oh, are you guys together?" and I said yes, and he moved to the other side of Enxian, but told us we needed to move closer together.
    I can't forget this rudely old man totally!