Thread: UA A320 at JFK today 5/16

UA A320 at JFK today 5/16

While riding the AirTrain at JFK today, I noticed a United A320 near T7. Unfortunately, did not have my camera with me and wasn't able to get a pic. Since UA mainline only flies 757-200s (with an occasional 767-300 sub) to and from LAX and SFO, any ideas what this aircraft was doing there today?
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

Quote Originally Posted by ISP Pilot View Post
    While riding the AirTrain at JFK today, I noticed a United A320 near T7. Unfortunately, did not have my camera with me and wasn't able to get a pic. Since UA mainline only flies 757-200s (with an occasional 767-300 sub) to and from LAX and SFO, any ideas what this aircraft was doing there today?
    You are probably going to see a lot of different types of airplanes in places they "shouldn't" be. I know United management is analyzing passenger loads, fares, cargo, etc. and moving airplanes around to fit those markets. For instance, they took the CAL 767-400 off the Honolulu-Guam flying and put a UAL 777 on it. The 757-300's have been taken off IAH-SEA-ANC and moved into markets like DEN and ORD. The CAL 767-400's will start flying from IAD-HNL and 757's (not sure if they're -200's or -300's) are going to be flying LAX-HNL and LAX-OGG for the summer. These are some of the changes that I'm aware of...

You are probably going to see a lot of different types of airplanes in places they "shouldn't" be. I know United management is analyzing passenger loads, fares, cargo, etc. and moving airplanes around to fit the right markets ("right-sizing" the airplane for the market). For instance, they took the CAL 767-400 off the Honolulu-Guam flying and put a UAL 777 on it. The 757-300's have been taken off IAH-SEA-ANC and moved into markets like DEN and ORD. The CAL 767-400's will start flying from IAD-HNL and 757's (not sure if they're -200's or -300's) are going to be flying LAX-HNL and LAX-OGG for the summer. These are some of the changes that I'm aware of...

(My "keep my butt outta trouble" disclaimer...): None of the information I've given here is to be construed as "official" information and I don't speak from a position of authority about any airline or aviation entity. All the information I've given can be gleaned by going to the UAL website and searching the flight schedule for the destinations involved...
    Last edited by snydersnapshots; 2012-05-17 at 01:19 AM.

Well at JFK, united runs their PS service which uses specially outfitted 757s. However, I'm starting to finally see those painted to the new colors. They are also being reconfigured, seating wise. That might be why.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    United runs their PS service which uses specially outfitted 757s.
    Not familiar with the "PS service." What is it and how are the 757's outfitted?

Quote Originally Posted by snydersnapshots View Post
    Not familiar with the "PS service." What is it and how are the 757's outfitted?
    http://united.com/web/en-US/content/...mservices.aspx

Although aircraft subs happen, they would not sub an A320 on their PS service. In the past, they have subbed a 767-300. If one of the PS configured aircraft were unavailable and a 767-300 was not available to sub in, they would probably cancel the flight.

According to airliners.net, UA 668 ORD-LGA was a mx diversion to JFK on 5/14.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5467352/

Although aircraft subs happen, they would not sub an A320 on their PS service. In the past, they have subbed a 767-300. If one of the PS configured aircraft were unavailable and a 767-300 was not available to sub in, they would probably cancel the flight.
    Interesting... an aspect of service I never realized United offered.

[URL]According to airliners.net, UA 668 ORD-LGA was a mx diversion to JFK on 5/14.
    Good decision. Longer runways and legacy UAL maintenance (as opposed the the primarily legacy CAL mx at EWR--good mechanics too, but the L-UAL mx guys are more familiar with the A-320).

Quote Originally Posted by snydersnapshots View Post
    Interesting... an aspect of service I never realized United offered.
    Delta also offers this type of service as well.

Here is a shot of the PS logo on united. Bottom right of the boarding door you can see "Premium Service" and there is also a "P.S." logo on the top, but its washed out in this photo:

Here is a shot of the PS logo on united. Bottom right of the boarding door you can see "Premium Service" and there is also a "P.S." logo on the top, but its washed out in this photo:
    Interesting. Thanks for the photo. I assume they're using the non-ETOPS 757's for this service? It'll be interesting to see if they change to 737-800 or-900's and re-deploy the 757's as they go through the paint and refit process or if they keep them on those routes.

The A320 was parked at one of the T7 gates when I arrived into JFK 10 minutes or so ago.

Found it earlier today! She did a little circle around the taxiways and then parked again.

Delta also offers this type of service as well.
    Delta's Transcontinental BusinessElite is a 2 class product whereas AA has a 3 class service on their JFK-LAX and most JFK-SFO flights (those operated by a 767-200) similar to UA PS. My first time in First Class was aboard a UA 767-200 from JFK-SFO back in 2000. I had used my UA credit card to pay my college tuition and splurged a bunch of miles on the JFK-SFO flight. They didn't call it PS back then. Very nice experience. The rum and cokes never stopped coming and I remember cutting my filet mignon with a real steak knife. Shame how times have changed.

Nice shot of the A320!