Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADD (Weekly Running Thread) Image Heavy.

ADD (Weekly Running Thread) Image Heavy.

As most of you know I have been in Ethiopia for a few months now and I am just now starting to get busy with spotting. A little background about ADD, both parallel runway run from NE to SW limiting photography from day break to about 10:30am and after 4PM which is not a problem as the airport goes dead silence in between. All if not most international arrivals and departures are in the evening, through the overnight hours and early morning. The morning is busy mostly with connecting departures to African destinations mostly with 757s and 737s. There are interesting visitors to ET Technique from Africa and the middle-east. The weather calls for clear blue skies from late September to April with temps in the mid 80’s with scorching sun and not a lot of winds. During this time the airports operates north at all times. Then April showers kick in clearing again in May and June. During this time the airport becomes unpredictable like JFK so they are working me hard. The confusion also helped me capture departure shots which otherwise will not be possible for now. The wet season moves in from mid June to about mid September. Spotting will not be possible during this time and the airport switches to south ops. Spotting in general is a dangerous game in this part of the world unless you are like me who originates and knows the town so I will try to cover as much as possible in the next few weeks.

P.S. I just got word while I post this the second 767 to have winglets installed just entered maintenance hunger which was in Star Alliance colors. So now I have to wait at least 30 days to shoot it.

My favorite African color scheme

The only private airline in the country. Yes you can run an airline but your aircraft cannot be bigger than this.

This daily A345 service may have been replaced by A330. I will find out this week.

Pilot Training

Finally, my spotting office with a nice roof protecting me from natural hazard like UV. No sunscreen lotion necessary.

See you next week in another report.

That is one heck of a nice spotting location! Sure beats the mounds...

Awesome series...........my favorite has to be the Ethiopian MD-11 Cargo. Stay safe and under the rooftop :) Looking forward to more.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Cool stuff! Very interesting to see the variety of aircraft Ethiopian flies. Thanks for sharing these!

Fasil, hope you're well ... Is there any way you could use your influence there and send that MD-11 over here to JFK? Butter!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny hold on there are two other types for cargo you might like. Then I will have your selection head your way.

Awesome! Keep 'em coming.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That 777-200LR..... Yummy

I forgot to mention on my report no flight tracking technology like flightaware works here. Thank god I know have inside intelligence so I am tracking movement on stuff I want the old fashion way and that is get a phone call and speed through the city to get there.

Welcome to my week two report. Last week started with three days of continues rain followed by the World Economic Forum conference. I really thought I was going to cash in on VIP flights as there were leaders from many countries and Biz jets from lots of corporations around the world. Unfortunately I was mate with unprecedented security in the back of the airport. I am talking about solders on tanks, armored vehicles and machineguns. When you see something like this in uncivilized world, you pretend you didn’t see anything and keep on going. Yesterday was the first time I was allowed to return to my spot as the whole city was paralyzed with heavy security. Overall I captured stuff I want but it could have been a lot better.

P.S. I did get a hand on the star alliance 767 shot from a friend who is a pilot. He was holding short for departure when he turned and sow the 767 taxing behind him. Knowing how bad I wanted he opened his window and took the shot. ET-ALO is now getting winglets.

Southern Air is flying for ET cargo with two 747s until the 777F arrives. Five 777s are on order.

Off she goes.

Newly leased 767 for ET

Government of Gabon

Finally a better side view of that beautiful Kenyan plane.

See you next week.

After a hectic week and half, I finally got a chance to visit my tree house towards the end of the week and met with the following birds.

We all love the moment when the sun gets inside the power plant

EK now flies the A330 instead of the A345 discontinuing the ADD Entebe leg.

Another leased cargo operator for ET Cargo until the 777F arrives.

The Ethiopian billionaire private 762ER with the beacon

I have been chasing this guy for many many years.

Returning from G8

Thanks for checking and I will see you again next week.

Really nice photos!

Excellent...........I like viewing the unusal stuff from abroad. Thanks!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet