Thread: Anybody Know Whether Airliners magazine is still being Published?

Anybody Know Whether Airliners magazine is still being Published?

About a year ago Airliners magazine seemed to just disappear. Their web site kinda indicated they would be publishing again, but I can't seem to confirm whether they are or are not publishing. Towards the end, I found the magazine fairly mediocre, particularly compared to Airways. They acted pretty much as the mouthpiece for the marketing departments of companies they wrote about with little objectivity. I find Airways, while always supportive of the industry, is a more interesting read with some outstanding historical articles.

By the way ... any one have any recommendation on good airline historical magazines or web sites? I am soon to be a PhD candidate writing a dissertation on the role Pan American World Airways played in expanding US foreign policy through out Latin America in the late 1920's and the early 1930's. I am always on the lookout for anything that deals with Pan Am during that period.

Cheers ...

Airliners is a train-wreck now. They basically put out issues when they get around to it. Just take a look at their FB page (http://www.facebook.com/AirlinersMag), where people who have paid for subscriptions are complaining about not receiving new issues for months -- and the non-response they get. The new staff asked to publish one of my photos for a very small fee, plus a copy of the issue. After about 5 months, I still didn't get payment or the issue. I had to repeatedly ask for them to finally send me the payment -- and I never got the issue. I'd advise not supporting these people. Airliners started going downhill after Bruce Drum left, IMHO.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

That magazine is for all intents gone so a subscription would not be advisable. However this one is a very good substitute. And all Barnes and Nobles carry it:

http://www.aviation-news.co.uk/view_issue.asp
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

I actually met the previous owner, I guess that was Bruce, at the Newark Collectibles show in September and he pretty much described what has already been said. He was running a magazine booth and when he saw me go "Wow, an issue of Airliners, haven't seen them in a while", he said "you could be looking at the final issue there" and we got to talking. I bought the issue, and was extremely dissatisfied with the writing. The 'from the editor' column acknowledged the change in direction they were making, and I tried to get into it, but it just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

What a shame, that was the magazine back in the 90's that made me realize I wanted to take pictures of airplanes. I have all my old issues.

I used to get Airliners, but never really enjoyed it, especially as of late. Most of the stuff was pretty dry and uninspired. I like Airliner World (http://www.airlinerworld.com/) and Airports of the World (http://www.airportsworld.com/). No problems with a subscription on either of them.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Another magazine that I used to really enjoy in the 1980's (maybe) was Airliners International. From what I recall, it was a fairly high quality magazine. I will take a look at Airport World. I do pick up Airliner World whenever I pass through LHR. Flight International is of course broader in its coverage, but often has a few good features. Thanks for all the suggestions; appreciated.

I visited the Barnes & Noble Flagship store last week. They used to carry various airline magazines; mostly imports from the UK. Sadly, they had none this time. Hope they didn't stop selling these but at $13 for several, it's beyond reach of many. I think Airliners used to include a poster in the center devoted to a different airport. I luckily got the JFK issue a while back but it's in my collection so I'd have to hunt it up. The Heathrow poster is hanging on my wall.

I think I have all of the first 50 or so issues of Airliners, going back to 1988 or so. I was friendly with Bruce and Pauline in those days, and am still friendly with Jay Selman, who was the editor in chief of the last decent issues before the new owners took over. It is now owned by an aircraft services company in Miami-Vito something or other, and the ads and features became more oriented to marketing their own services. Everyone associated with the book was frustrated as the content continued to decline.

It's now a train wreck. I was working with a couple of people to try to buy the magazine a couple of years ago, and we would have put it back on the right track, but their asking price was outrageous....
    It's the fares, stupid