Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 NYC FLEET WEEK EVENTS 5/23 - 5/30

As per the Fleet Week New York website the Events Schedule has been updated with the Parade of Ships schedule info for Wed. May 23rd.
    http://www.fleetweeknewyork.com/events.html

They also posted the aircraft that will participate at Eisenhower Park in the Air & Land Demo by the Navy and USMC:

10 a.m.. Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, NY- USMC and USN displays of aviation and personnel equipment. Service members from all services will be available to discuss and interact with public. USN will host an Explosive Ordnance Team demo and land MH-60S, MH-60R and MH-53E for display. USMC will land MV-22B, CH-46E, UH-1N and AH-1W.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post

They also posted the aircraft that will participate at Eisenhower Park in the Air & Land Demo by the Navy and USMC:

10 a.m.. Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, NY- USMC and USN displays of aviation and personnel equipment. Service members from all services will be available to discuss and interact with public. USN will host an Explosive Ordnance Team demo and land MH-60S, MH-60R and MH-53E for display. USMC will land MV-22B, CH-46E, UH-1N and AH-1W.
    WOW a Stallion? NASTY!! 6 different copter types!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!

Good luck to all those venturing in. I gave up after sitting in traffic for almost two hours and still hadn't reached Flatbush Ave
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Could anyone who was in at the Parade of Ships and the flyovers please advise if any aircraft other than what left Farmingdale actually flew over. Thanks!
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

A pair of Ospreys made a few laps of the river while I was down there waiting for the Blues to launch. After I had to go back to the office a co-worker who had a window facing that way, and whose window I was planted at to see the Blues said that there was a ton of aircraft in pretty rapid succession before them, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to identify them since he was only half paying attention. He said they were pretty sleek and new looking, so if I were forced to guess I'd say some more hornets or superbugs. I think a few supers that weren't at FRG flew past the Intrepid last year, so it's a pretty good guess that there'd probably be more this year, but I only saw those two Ospreys. Anyone else see anything in person?

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Yep. Aerial parade off the top of my head was 4x F18, P-3, 2x F18, an airliner type (P-8?), 2x MV22, 2xSnowbirds, C130 (Ernie?), then Blues north, Blues south, and Blues north again. I was paying attention, but looking through a gap in buildings, so at 250kts, you don't get a lot of time for long IDs! There were various SH60s and at least one -53 off in the distance by the Statue
    Last edited by Mateo; 2012-05-23 at 09:19 PM.

They had a great flyover line-up but it was just too bad we didn't have better skies today
    Anyway, here's my list of flyovers at the Verrazano Bridge today ...
    2 - MV-22 Ospreys ( 2 passes )
    2 - NAVY MH-60 Sea Hawks
    1 - AH-1W Cobra
    2 - NAVY MH-53E Sea Dragons ( 2 passes )
    4 - F/A-18F - VF-213 Blacklions
    2 - EA-18G - VAQ-130 Zappers
    1 - E-2C Hawkeye - VAW-125 Seahawks
    1 - P-3 Orion
    1 - P-8A Poseidon
    1 - Coast Guard HU-25 Guardian
    1 - Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk
    2 - CT-114 - Canadian Snowbirds
    1 - C-130 "ERNIE"
    6 - F/A-18s - Blue Angels ( 3 passes )

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    WOW a Stallion? NASTY!! 6 different copter types!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!
    OH BOY it was awesome!!!! Nice warm sun shining as I saw three copters circling to the north of Eisenhower Park. Then they came in with one of the MH-60s rapelling down a number of crew
    members then joined the 2nd MH-60 for a flyby before landing!! BUT the best was the HUGE MH-53E Sea Dragon from NAS Norfolk. This big boy is part of the Helicopter Mine Countermeasures
    Squadron 14 "World Famous Vanguard". They landed first before the MH-60s!! That alone to see fly and up close was worth the whole day!! The MH-60s were from the Harry S.Truman and had some cool tail colors. One had a white bulldog in a green patch on the tail boom and the other was the "Swamp Fox" with a nice navy blue tail boom and tail with an orange fox. And both had all
    kinds of external and internal equipment. VERY imporessive looking helos. They departed around 11:30 and after a slow and high flyby headed out to the south then westbound.
    Soon after that the Marines came in. A CH-46, a Cobra and a Huey (UH-1N) circled about the area at low leve. Damn I love the sound of the Huey and the Cobra overhead. They were awaiting the "star" of the show, the MV-22 Osprey. And it made an impressive appearance coming in over the tree top slowly to the ooohhhs and ahhhhs of the crowd!! They landed followed by the Sea Knight and
    both dropped off combat equipped soldiers as the two smaller copters circled overhead. Then they landed at the LZ and after all four shutdown and were secured the crowd was allowed in to the field. Cool how everyone ran to the Osprey first. I did a quick walk around the ships then headed out to FRG. Usually i would have waited until they all left but since the practice show was cancelled yesterday and I am going to the beach on Sunday I wanted to spend some quality time at FRG.
    But a BIG THANKS to Nassau County and the US Navy and the USMC. I've been going to these demos for about 4 years now and this was absolutely the BEST with all the different helicopters flying in. I was in Helo Heaven for sure!!!

Although the weather was crappy, here's a cool video showing most of the Hudson River Flyovers from Wed. with lower Manhattan in the background

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Although the weather was crappy, here's a cool video showing most of the Hudson River Flyovers from Wed. with lower Manhattan in the background
    Excellent video!! Boy that was a very cool flyby there!! Lots of aircraft!!

Off topic but anyone who hasn't visited the Coast Guard sailing ship Eagle by the Intrepid should do so as they are selling little wooden models of the vessel for only $25. Got one for myself and its gorgeous. (But be prepared to walk out with a fairly big box)

I looked it up on Google out of curiosity and these things are going for 100 bucks

http://www.rjmodelships.com/store/us....html#pictures
    Last edited by alberchico; 2012-05-26 at 11:06 PM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try