Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Space Shuttle Enterprise Be Loved By Intrepid?

Post Will Space Shuttle Enterprise Be Loved By Intrepid?

NYCAviation:
    Will Space Shuttle Enterprise Be Loved By Intrepid?

Our ups, down and more downs in dealing with the Intrepid Museum, including aircraft artifact abuse and putting profit over enthusiasm.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Well said Phil. Confirms what I already feel, that I won't be paying their overpriced admission fee to support their incompetence and corporate greed

Good luck Shuttle Enterprise

It wouldn't be so frustrating if not for the fact that we have such a good relationship with so many other museums and organizations that we haven't even tried to help out in the past. Sure, we're not the biggest media outlet in the world, but we have a deep connection with enthusiasts, and most aviation and space-related institutions value that. Intrepid doesn't care about enthusiasts, they'll pile thousands of tourists in every day at $24+ a head no matter what. (And don't forget as you're leaving, the only exit is through the gift shop).

I am happy New York got a shuttle, even if it's at the Intrepid. Not everyone who goes has to be an enthusiast, but hopefully some people will be inspired once they're in a room with a shuttle. And not everyone will make it to DC or KSC to see the other shuttles.

At the same time, I'd rather drive to DC and visit the Smithsonian, not just because they have a vastly better collection, but because they value people who care about their artifacts. I would gladly pay $30 to see them, and it's free! Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center is $45, also not a bad deal for what you get to see.

The Intrepid's safety record isn't great, without even considering the environmental and geographic factors. What happened to all the strict requirements NASA issued during the selection process for institutions to be eligible for a retired shuttle? For example, they had to be safe from floods for 500 years. What happens when the bubble covering Enterprise while it's on the deck gets hit by strong winds or hail?

What happens when a cruise ship or some other boat smacks into Intrepid, as one did just last week?

Enterprise is no less of a vital artifact than any of the other shuttles and should be protected as such.

/rant
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2012-05-02 at 01:27 PM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Program Coordinator
    Two things:
    1. While Seattle may not have been the most deserving or populous city on the list, it is worth pointing out that they have finished their space gallery to NASA’s standards for a shuttle, and they are only getting a trainer…whereas Intrepid seems to have created a plan for it solely to win it, and then backpedaled to a cheaper option once it was in the bag – oh yeah and its gonna be awhile. Seattle could’ve been ready several weeks ago. I’m willing to bet both Houston & Chicago would’ve been more prepared too.
    2. While Intrepid did snub us as an organization for media access (and a hometown one at that), we didn’t get into events in DC either – and it wasn’t for lack of trying.
    Admittedly this is harsh to say, but I hope they end up losing it and it is reapportioned to somewhere different whether it is a more deserving museum in the NYC area, a more deserving space city (Houston), or a more geographically strategic city (Chicago).

Very well said Phil, there's no excuse for how the museum seems to be run! They need to face facts and realize that the purpose of a museum is to exhibit artifacts, educate the patrons, and provide a safe environment for history to be seen by everyone, not to turn the biggest profit and renege on promises to keep a priceless aircraft protected from the elements. I can say with confidence that I will not be visiting the Intrepid if/when I visit NYC, and I'm sure the majority of enthusiasts who see how they treat not only the aircraft, but those of us who love them most will agree.

Does this mean we get to see the SCA with Enterprise leaving again in the future?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I say demount it and just leave it where it is. It can be a centerpiece of the new JFK aviation and space museum(just a daydream) They have plenty of underutilized space at JFk.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

According to their site, general admission plus access to Shuttle and Concorde will be $50 PER PERSON.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    According to their site, general admission plus access to Shuttle and Concorde will be $50 PER PERSON.
    So for a family of four to visit is $200? I won't be going.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

the only thing worth $50 per person of epic stature is being able to watch Phil and I sing "you've lost that lovin' feeling"....and we did that for free.

Intrepid management, take note.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    the only thing worth $50 per person of epic stature is being able to watch Phil and I sing "you've lost that lovin' feeling"....and we did that for free.

Intrepid management, take note.
    That duet was certainly worth more than a measly 50 bones

Lets keep in mind that the Intrepid is investing millions of dollars to make this happen so they do have the right to charge whatever they want. $45 dollars to tour KSC which is essentially a government facility is frankly more outrageous. Second of all every museum in this damn city is expensive . Regarding the Concorde nose incident there's not that many places to park an airliner for 2 years without incurring massive storage costs. If some idiot with a truck ripped its nose off you can't really blame the museum for that. I have heard some people in the past comment on the condition of aircraft exposed out on the flight deck to the elements but on a carrier planes are supposed to be displayed out on the deck. Having the city as a backdrop provide some interesting photo opportunities. Intrepid ain't the only museum to display aircraft outdoors. There are other points in the article that I disagree with but I will stop here. I'm sorry but this article really comes off as a bitter rant....
    Last edited by alberchico; 2012-05-02 at 11:39 PM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    Lets keep in mind that the Intrepid is investing millions of dollars to make this happen so they do have the right to charge whatever they want. $45 dollars to tour KSC which is essentially a government facility is frankly more outrageous. Second of all every museum in this damn city is expensive . Regarding the Concorde nose incident there's not that many places to park an airliner for 2 years without incurring massive storage costs. If some idiot with a truck ripped its nose off you can't really blame the museum for that. I have heard some people in the past comment on the condition of aircraft exposed out on the flight deck to the elements but on a carrier planes are supposed to be displayed out on the deck. Having the city as a backdrop provide some interesting photo opportunities. Intrepid ain't the only museum to display aircraft outdoors. There are other points in the article that I disagree with but I will stop here. I'm sorry but this article really comes off as a bitter rant....
    what museum's are expensive? most are free or donation based.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

The vast majority of people do not know about the '' suggested admission'' gimmick so they end up paying the full admission price. Keep in mind that the american air power museum always charges higher admission during airshow days which is the only time you would want to make the trip out there. Even the cradle of aviation raised their prices in the last year. (Although their $25 membership plan is quite affordable). Also investing in an Intrepid membership plan is still quite a good deal. I have been told that membership prices are going up at the end of the summer as a result of the shuttle exhibit.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    The vast majority of people do not know about the '' suggested admission'' gimmick so they end up paying the full admission price. Keep in mind that the american air power museum always charges higher admission during airshow days which is the only time you would want to make the trip out there. Even the cradle of aviation raised their prices in the last year. (Although their $25 membership plan is quite affordable). Also investing in an Intrepid membership plan is still quite a good deal. I have been told that membership prices are going up at the end of the summer as a result of the shuttle exhibit.
    Personally I think both the American Air Power Museum and The Cradle of Aviation are both better then the Intrepid. The last time I was at the Intrepid I was shocked at how little there was to see and then it seemed like most of the hands on exhibits were broken.