Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Space Shuttle Enterprise Be Loved By Intrepid?

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    Lets keep in mind that the Intrepid is investing millions of dollars to make this happen so they do have the right to charge whatever they want. $45 dollars to tour KSC which is essentially a government facility is frankly more outrageous. Second of all every museum in this damn city is expensive . Regarding the Concorde nose incident there's not that many places to park an airliner for 2 years without incurring massive storage costs. If some idiot with a truck ripped its nose off you can't really blame the museum for that. I have heard some people in the past comment on the condition of aircraft exposed out on the flight deck to the elements but on a carrier planes are supposed to be displayed out on the deck. Having the city as a backdrop provide some interesting photo opportunities. Intrepid ain't the only museum to display aircraft outdoors. There are other points in the article that I disagree with but I will stop here. I'm sorry but this article really comes off as a bitter rant....
    Intrepid was responsible in their planning to make sure that Concorde was parked in a guarded area....they are the ones that placed the nose of the plane over a road with nothing to protect it. They are the ones that left it unguarded. They are the ones that allowed Aviatior Sports to use it as a jungle gym. Liability is with them, legally.

They CAN charge what they want, but that doesn't make it right. It's an org, they're supposed to be not-for-profit.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    The vast majority of people do not know about the '' suggested admission'' gimmick so they end up paying the full admission price. Keep in mind that the american air power museum always charges higher admission during airshow days which is the only time you would want to make the trip out there. Even the cradle of aviation raised their prices in the last year. (Although their $25 membership plan is quite affordable). Also investing in an Intrepid membership plan is still quite a good deal. I have been told that membership prices are going up at the end of the summer as a result of the shuttle exhibit.
    "Suggested admission" isn't a gimmick. It's the way that poorer people can afford to go to mseums, which is the major problem with Intrepid's prices. Imagine how many children will not get to see the space shuttle, concorde and the other things that would inspire the minds of our future....all for Intrepid's profit.

Bitter yes, rant....well, how would YOU feel having tried for years to cultivate a relationship with a premier institution like the Intrepid Museum only to have them snub your efforts like that? I'm certainly no insider when it comes to these issues and have no idea how much money changed hands behind the scenes, but if it walks like a duck...you know the rest

I'd like to say that we are not bitter because of anything actually NYCA-related. It's an aviation enthusiast issue. It's the stance toward organizations and people like us that celebrate aviation for the sake of celebrating it, as opposed to doing so for the sake of money.

I apologize if my tone was off, but it's frustrating, not as founder of NYCA, but as a plane geek, that these posers try to pass themselves off as a caring museum, when they have a track record of simply not caring until they have no choice in PR-situations. I wrote what I wrote because, before people spend $200 for a family of 4, they should know what they are and are not paying for.

Most importantly, we weren't trying to team-up with them because we like them. We were trying to do so because we wanted to do what we could to protect and love aviation in a way that they have not been doing....so we could do their job for them. Now all we can do is watch from afar, hope and pray.

Well, there's more we can do, but in due time. We will keep a close eye and hold them accountable.