Thread: Updates on space shuttle Enterprise flight to NYC?

Updates on space shuttle Enterprise flight to NYC?

Latest I've read from NASA's site is that the piggy-back flight will tentatively happen on Wed. 4/25/12 sometime between 9:30 and 11:30 am Eastern ...weather permitting.
    Hoping someone can clue me in on the best resource to check for updates, when they're announced.
    I'm going to make every effort to be there in person for this historic event. (Most likely Liberty State Park, unless anyone has any other suggestions.)

Thanks.

Well, for starters there is 24 pages of non stop updates with the latest information located (HERE)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Forecast sadly looks bad now for Wed. and Thurs. but things can change. Remember last 2 weeks we had crystal-blue skies and warmth every day. We are now paying the price. I still plan to view from Battery Park where she is scheduled to fly-by the Statue then head over to EWR. I'll go on Wed. If cancelled, I can always ride the ferry and return on Thurs. It's great to be retired! I viewed the Concorde on a barge coming up the Bay from the same location a few years ago. Good luck to all of us!

Thanks a million, Derf. I'd even used the site's search tool, but I should've realized I was doing something wrong when it came back with 0 hits (on a website as appropriate as this one). Ah, the joys of being a new member...

Speedbird, not that it really affects viewing around Lady Liberty or the vicinity, but I think the final destination for tomorrow is JFK, not EWR.

http://www.space.com/15379-space-shu...ck-flight.html

...Thanks again. I'll see what knowledge I can glean from that other thread.

Last edited by sbutk; 2012-04-24 at 01:15 PM.

No problem... I hate searches myself ;)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by sbutk View Post
    Speedbird, not that it really affects viewing around Laberty Liberty or the vicinity, but I think the final destination for tomorrow is JFK, not EWR.
    Not trying to bust your stones or anything, but I think speedbird was referring to the shuttle/sca heading to EWR for its low pass there prior to returning back to JFK for full-stop..
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Not trying to bust your stones or anything, but I think speedbird was referring to the shuttle/sca heading to EWR for its low pass there prior to returning back to JFK for full-stop..
    Oh, sorry. Didn't realize that EWR flyby was in the flightplan.

...And to make it clear, that abomination was meant to say Lady Liberty (fixed it).
    I get into trouble so often when I cut & paste. :(
    Last edited by sbutk; 2012-04-24 at 01:19 PM.

Now that I think about it, while Liberty SP will be pretty much "center stage", it does have the disadvantage of being about as low as you can get. Anyone know of any other vantage points that might be higher up and thus closer to the level of the actual flight (i.e. for better photo ops)? I suppose the rooftop of a hi-rise would be great, but as far as I know, they're not exactly open to walk-ins.

Thanks.

Empire State Bldg and Top of the Rock... otherwise you needs friends in high places :P

Top of Freedom Tower would be sweet too...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Empire State Bldg and Top of the Rock... otherwise you needs friends in high places :P

Top of Freedom Tower would be sweet too...
    I have a feeling those places might be so packed the day of the flyover you won't be able to even get in . Battery park would be your best bet.....
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

TOR is never crowed, i frequent up there. Everyone prefers empire on a normal day. Not many people know about TOR.

I was thinking about the Empire State Building also as it would provide views of multiple passes (up and down the Hudson plus likely the approach to 13 at LGA). I also like the fact that you would pretty much have a distant visual (weather permitting) of pretty much its entire flight around NYC.

One could stand along the New Jersey side of the Hudson, more or less across from the Intrepid and Cruise Ships. It is quite elevated over there - basically atop a cliff. There's been a photo circulating the net for many years of a Galaxy flying south along the Hudson River at quite a low altitude and this is frequently accompanied by debate as to whether the photo is genuine or not. I don't know if it is or not myself, but it is certainly plausible - especially the further back through the years you go. I've seen C-130s and one time a Neptune at ridiculously low altitudes over the harbor and East and Hudson rivers in years gone by... easily below 1000. I wouldn't expect to see something like that today though.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

What's anyone's opinion of Fort Lee Historic Park? I kindof like the idea of sitting high up on the bluff.

...I heard the GWB is one of the "stops on the tour". That's right, isn't it?
    Last edited by sbutk; 2012-04-24 at 09:38 PM.

I think those are very good spots, with only one problem. I believe you'd be against the sun to some extent, so you'd be faced with a backlit shot. But this won't be much different than Bayswater or Inwood in that respect, I am guessing.
    "Keep 'em Flying"