Thread: DVR Alert: 4/23/12

DVR Alert: 4/23/12

I'm sure its all footage we have already seen in some form or another, but I guess the title says it all!

Discovery Channel (Cablevision 27) Tonight (4/23/12) at 10pm

World's Scariest Plane Landings.

Startling footage of some of the world's most terrifying plane landings.
    Air Date: Mon 4/23 10:00PM
    Channel: 27 DSCHD
    TV Rating: TVPG
    Length: 60 mins
    Genre: Aviation,Documentary
    First Aired: Jan 11 2012
    Last edited by JHNA57; 2012-04-23 at 07:56 AM.

Funchal and Kai Tak, baby(and that place in Nepal, that place is nuts)

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Funchal and Kai Tak, baby(and that place in Nepal, that place is nuts)
    Lukla is the one in Nepal
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

so what's the point of this show, to scare the crap out of you so you won't want to fly.

in the first minute and everything about flying is dangerous
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    LOL I love the hashtag #worstflightever

In cabin footage of Canyon Blue and LOT gear up landing was EPIC!
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2012-04-23 at 10:35 PM.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by JHNA57 View Post
    Startling footage of some of the world's most terrifying plane landings.
    I didn't even know they were filming me!

Unfortunately I found this too late to DVR it--hope it's on again.

i'm sorry but this show legitimately just pissed me the *&#% off...how is flying a 757 off a single engine and making a NORMAL effing landing "dangerous"? Not to mention the commentary and how off they were on most of the narrated points...i'm sorry, but an A320 with no engines doesn't fall out of the sky...it won't glide like a 172 but good God, it'll still fly. And sorry b !tch but an (albeit) abrupt "impact" with the Hudson and subsequent rapid deceleration is NOT the same as a bad car crash...assuming your dumba$$ was in brace position, you should be fine...g-forces from a car crash at SIGNIFICANTLY slower speeds produce a MUCH greater g-force than what you went through, even though they aren't sustained. I apologize if my ranting is inaccurate, just ranting from personal experience.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

I'm sure its all footage we have already seen in some form or another
    As far as production goes, it is YOU-TUBE Videos with (idiotic) narration

i'm sorry but this show legitimately just pissed me the *&#% off.
    Obviously the best way to watch this is with the sound muted.

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    i'm sorry but this show legitimately just pissed me the *&#% off...how is flying a 757 off a single engine and making a NORMAL effing landing "dangerous"? Not to mention the commentary and how off they were on most of the narrated points...i'm sorry, but an A320 with no engines doesn't fall out of the sky...it won't glide like a 172 but good God, it'll still fly. And sorry b !tch but an (albeit) abrupt "impact" with the Hudson and subsequent rapid deceleration is NOT the same as a bad car crash...assuming your dumba$$ was in brace position, you should be fine...g-forces from a car crash at SIGNIFICANTLY slower speeds produce a MUCH greater g-force than what you went through, even though they aren't sustained. I apologize if my ranting is inaccurate, just ranting from personal experience.
    Don't hold back there, tell us how you really feel!

I know what you mean though. The media, and the Discovery Channel especially, seems to have a penchant for overly dramatizing something relatively routine. It's more about ratings than giving good, accurate information. I remember one episode of "Flying Wild Alaska" where they were flying a load of explosives from Barrow to a small island off the west coast of Alaska. The route the crew flew avoided any villages--probably because there were no villages along the route as opposed to flying out of their way to avoid villages--then they flew off the west coast and paralleled the US/Russian border. The narrator made it sound like the explosives could blow up at any minute and that they could be shot down and cause the biggest US/Russian incident since Francis Gary Powers and the U2 if they even put a wingtip over the border. I would love to get the reaction of the pilots when they saw the edited and narrated footage.

When I was in college, I read an autobiography of Jimmy Doolittle (Not his "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again"...the one I read came out in the 50's or early 60's and I don't remember the name). One thing that jumped out at me in it was his frustration with the news media and their coverage of aviation. The dramatization and sensationalization (if that's even a word--if it's not, it is now) is nothing new. Doolittle was complaining about the media even back in the thirties.