Thread: Tips for Aviation Job Applications?

Tips for Aviation Job Applications?

Hey guys,

I need some help. Two airlines have recently posted some finance/administrative positions that I think I can qualify for. The applications require cover letters. Any suggestions on what I can say to really stand out? I’ve been dreaming of working in the airline industry since I was a kid. Being in my mid-30s, I feel that this is like my last shot. I’d even be willing to take a pay cut for one of these jobs. Honestly, just want someone to give me a shot because I know I can do a good job especially since I’m so passionate about this.

If anyone who works for an airline could give me some advice, I’d really appreciate it. Heck, if I get one of these jobs, I’ll host a get-together and Bar Avion in the City and pay for the first two rounds. Lol (yes, serious about that!)

Thanks so much!

I'd say you pretty much hit the high points of the letter in this post. All my cover letters have been for jobs on the flight-ops side of the house, but I would imagine the things you'd want to include for a finance/admin position would be similar. First, you want to show that you will be an asset to the company and a good employee. Of course. you want to emphasize your background in the finance/admin type of work. Beyond that, I'll comment using some of your own quotes.

Definitely use this in some way, shape, or form:
    Quote Originally Posted by bonanzabucks View Post
    I’ve been dreaming of working in the airline industry since I was a kid.
    Insinuate this, but I wouldn't put it exactly like you've written it here:
    Being in my mid-30s, I feel that this is like my last shot.
    Do NOT put this in, or you'll be working for McDonalds wages! LOL: (however, when they make an offer, do what you feel is best)
    I’d even be willing to take a pay cut for one of these jobs.
    Absolutely include this:
    I know I can do a good job especially since I’m so passionate about this.
    I'm sure there are a number of pilots on this board. Pilots like free stuff, especially at a bar. This was dangerous territory but I think you showed your finance/admin acumen very well by limiting the number of drinks bought. Well done. You get the job and I'll be there!
    Heck, if I get one of these jobs, I’ll host a get-together and Bar Avion in the City and pay for the first two rounds. Lol (yes, serious about that!)

Thanks so much!
    Good luck... You're in NY I see. A couple of pints of Yeungling will be just fine, thank you!

Let us know what happens.

Your cover letter should consist of three paragraphs, not exceeding one page.

Hi,

I am Joe and I feel I would be a good fit for da job.

I have this quaification, can do THIS, I've done THAT, this skill can allow me to do this, and I cao do that too.

I also feel I'd be an excellent fit because of my strong passion for aviation. Mt interest was instilled on me when I was little, I lost my v to a pilot, stole engines off of a DC-10, and found DB Cooper red-handed because of my love for aviation.

Thanks. I look forward to speaking with you to discuss this exciting opportunity.

Kind regards,

ME BABY
    Email me anytime at [email protected].