Thread: Delta Flight Returns to JFK After Engine Bird Strike

Delta Flight Returns to JFK After Engine Bird Strike

I KNEW I heard something very wrong. I didn't read this until a few hours after, but I definitely heard this incident and thought it was JFK related. Even turned on a police scanner at the time but didn't hear anything about this.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...148158105.html

Flight Returns to JFK After Bird Strike

A Delta Airlines flight from John F. Kennedy Airport to Los Angeles returned 10 minutes after takeoff Thursday because of a bird strike to the engine.

Delta spokesman Anthony Black said flight 1063 encountered a bird strike on the right side engine. As a precaution, he said, the captain returned the plane to JFK.

"The flight landed without incident and they are currently inspecting the engine and working to re-accommodate the passengers," Black said.

The Boeing 757 with 172 passengers and seven crew members was scheduled to take off at 3 p.m.

Post Passengers Remarkably Calm After Bird Strike Destroys Engine of Delta Jet

NYCAviation:
    Passengers Remarkably Calm After Bird Strike Destroys Engine of Delta Jet

A Delta Air Lines flight made an emergency landing in New York Thursday afternoon when it suffered a bird strike and the cabin filled with smoke, according to passengers.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Here is video of the actual bird strike....from inside the plane!

The guy who shot it has now uploaded the original to YouTube, with sound....wow!

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Why oh why does the video cut out so soon!

because he just sh*t his pants, which causes one to hit the stop button at the same time

I don't think thats it. This was more than likely recorded on a phone, and just about any time someone stops recording on a phone you see it shake around a bit as they look for the stop button on the screen. It stops too suddenly after the bird strike. There is more to this video...somewhere.

Meh, the pilot should have swerved

that sounded cool (scary but) cool! Almost like a burp/fart

Sorry Kenny/Mike... I know that's your area of expertise, but I couldn't resist!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

It sounded like much more than a burp/fart here at home. It was more like a grinding, then BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM whiirrrr and then nothing. And I'm about 3.5 miles from that part of the airport.

I saw that plane banking over me very close.. I was wondering what going on there because they never fly so low!

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    It sounded like much more than a burp/fart here at home. It was more like a grinding, then BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM whiirrrr and then nothing. And I'm about 3.5 miles from that part of the airport.
    That would have been the compressor stall you heard. Then of course, the engine shutting down.

Yep, exactly. I was shocked at how loud it was all the way over by me. Sadly, when I looked out the window at the airport, it was too early and the 757 had not yet cleared the tree line. Had it stayed a few moments longer, I would have seen her climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    because he just sh*t his pants, which causes one to hit the stop button at the same time
    Well, you were right and I was wrong. In a later interview, he said he "closed the phone" and attempted to call his wife. Oh well.

A few months ago while on my morning jog a heard someone taking off from Kennedy but it sounded very strange. I looked and saw a BA 747 departing and thought it was an odd time for it to be leaving(in the am) and there was this crazy buzzsaw sound happening, like something was caught in one of the fans, like it was a huge turboprop or something. No smoke or anything and it looked like a normal departure, except for the sound.

Oh, by the way. That video was recorded with an IPAD. lol. What an impractical device to use for taping out of an aircraft window. But, it worked.