Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 McGuire Air Show (May 12 and 13)

One of the worst shows photographically .. by 10:00am the light is in your face relative to the flight-line until sunset :-( You actually want OVERCAST skies with very high clouds for this show. It is also unfortunate that the active RWY is invisible mostly from the airshow crowd position.

However for the B-1, we make exceptions
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Some of mine from years past at McGuire

The P-51 was so low in this pass we thought he would hit the ground... WOW!!

Manny Gonzalez

Does anyone think it would be a problem to bring a 400mm lens with a gimbal head and a large tripod? I was planning to make the trip but i would hate to bring 10k of camera gear and have to leave in in my vehicle? Thanks in advance!

You should be able to as long as it's naked... no backpacks or roller bags... nothing big. But I have seen folks with large pods all the time...
    Manny Gonzalez

I just heard from my friend at McGuire and they actually sent 2 BONES from Dyess !! WOW !!
    One is on static display giving tours of the cockpit and the other will be doing the flybys !!
    Sure wish I could've made it down there and I can't wait to see all the photos !!

Wait until you see the VIDEO...

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    I just heard from my friend at McGuire and they actually sent 2 BONES from Dyess !! WOW !!
    One is on static display giving tours of the cockpit and the other will be doing the flybys !!
    Sure wish I could've made it down there and I can't wait to see all the photos !!

Yes, they sent two as you described, one for static and one for the show. It was a very good show, I just got home a few minutes ago. They let you into the cockpit of the B-one, while technically not completely inside, you could go up the ladder until the top rung. There were no restrictions on photography, so I snapped a few and will post them tomorrow or soon after. Due to some technical issue, there was no F/A18 Super Hornet display during the regular show today. I say regular show because he did an intense display about 25 minutes after the show had ended - lots of burner!!! He did several high speed passes, the slow pass with his gear down, many loops and it put a nice ending on other than photography related, a really good show. I am happy that I went.
    Joe

Manny,
    Those images don't look bad at all. I wish I saw the F117 demo before they were mothballed. I caught one about 11 years at a show in Arkansas, I didn't get to see it fly, but it was clearly visible. I was on a business trip and got to watch a good part of the show while waiting for my plane to depart. Fortunately, the airshow caused us to be delayed.

I ended up elsewhere today, and am planning to hit McGuire on Sunday. Can someone tell me what the deal is with bringing bags in? Is a small camera bag OK? Looking at their web site, they say no backpacks or "tote bags" and I don't want to get to the gate and be sent back to the car, or stuff things in my pockets only to find everyone dragging bags along.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I ended up elsewhere today, and am planning to hit McGuire on Sunday. Can someone tell me what the deal is with bringing bags in? Is a small camera bag OK? Looking at their web site, they say no backpacks or "tote bags" and I don't want to get to the gate and be sent back to the car, or stuff things in my pockets only to find everyone dragging bags along.
    I had know problem getting my camera bag in, you should be fine.

I went down with my brother and gave Jason and Dennis ride down(hoped they enjoyed there first airshow) and met up with Manny. The show was ok. B1 was great. F'18s were grounded for the day for some testing, but about 45 minutes after the show had ended if you stayed around F18 did its full demo for the remaining crowd.
    Last edited by eric8669; 2012-05-12 at 09:43 PM.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Hey Moose,
    They didn't give me any grief with regards to my camera bag, which is about 14" wide by 10" deep and about 9" high. By time I got to the gate, they had me open it, saw my camera and a few lenses and said "you're good, enjoy" When we parked, got there are 8:15 and they made us park a good half mile from the entrance, so we had to walk across a big grass field, while others were able to park close to the gate, I guess it was a matter of which entrance you choose, anyway, my point was to say that the guys doing the parking were looking over what people were bringing in, and he told a woman that her pocket book was too large, to keep it in her car. If it's the bag that you had with you when the shuttle came in, that would be fine. They definitely were not letting anyone in with backpacks. I also brought a folding chair with me and no issues, water bottles are also allowed. They also checked you with a metal scanner after you showed them your bags, which was a first at an airshow for me. I've been to shows at other bases and never came across this. My sneaker gave them a false positive and I had to take it off to show them that other than my socks and feet, there was nothing in there.

If you go, as soon as you pass the check point, there is a large hangar, make sure you go inside as there was a surprise in there that I didn't see any mention of....the Predator UAV, which was really cool to see up close.
    Last edited by Joe; 2012-05-12 at 09:57 PM.

One other note, I didn't see the B-52 anywhere. I doubt that I missed it since those wings are so large, but I could have! They didn't list in their paper that they gave out when you walked in showing where all of the statics were.

Thanks for the info, guys. Joe, the bag I'm bringing is about half the size of the one I had for the shuttle shoot, only bringing part of my stuff, plus some water. The last time they had a show at McG, they sent me through the metal detector about 4 times. Finally, I realized my bluetooth headset was in a lower pocket of my pants. Then, when the guy saw me carrying a camera, he asked if it was all camera gear in my bag, and when I told him it was, he said "That's OK, then, you don't need to open it..."

First pass of rough edits. Here are some highlights, much more here:
    http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/a...20Show%202012/

Nice day out there.
    Here are mine